Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #1

What does the white button do on K-lenses

I'm familiar with Pentax M42 lenses but recently have picked up a few K-mount manual lenses and they all have a white button on them. What does it do? What is it for? It doesn't push... Total newb question I'm afraid...

Gene

01-14-2007, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is an aid for the mounting system and a legacy from when pentax switched from the M42 screwmount to the bayonet K mount.
Try closing your eyes and picking up the lens. Locate the button and then fit the lens to your camera. While it is not quite as convenient as on the older cameras when it lined up with the lens lock on the body, it helps you to orient the lens to the bayonet mount.
The colour is like the luminescent plastic found on children's toys. Put the lens under a desk lamp and then take it into a dark cupboard and see if the green/white dot glows.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 01-14-2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: explication
01-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

Arjay Bee,
100% correct... it's there just in case you need to mount a lens while blind folded
01-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Arjay, Roy, thanks! Okay, I'll quit pushing it now

Gene

01-15-2007, 05:48 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
Arjay Bee,
100% correct... it's there just in case you need to mount a lens while blind folded
Darned useful for theatre work, street PJ afterdark, surveillance etc.
01-15-2007, 11:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I think Pentax is the only camera that you don't have to change your grip on the camera to change the lens. It's a safety feature nobody ever mentions.
01-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by egarrard Quote
I think Pentax is the only camera that you don't have to change your grip on the camera to change the lens. It's a safety feature nobody ever mentions.
You know, I never thought about that until I was changing lenses today, and then I read your post now. Here I am holding the camera with my right hand, I push the lens release with my "right-ring" finger, twist the barrel and out goes the lens! I did it with my buddy's film based Pentax as well! I could never pull that off with the Nikon D50 or D70/70s. Same goes with the Fuji S2/S3 (based on Nikon bodies). Come to think of it you can't do it with Canon systems either. Brilliant!

Sorry - didn't mean to troll.

01-16-2007, 04:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I miss that "white button". As my vission is deteriorating I find myself looking for that mark since it is becoming difficult for me to see the red marking without having to put on my glasses.
01-16-2007, 08:36 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I miss that "white button". As my vission is deteriorating I find myself looking for that mark since it is becoming difficult for me to see the red marking without having to put on my glasses.
Me too. At least the Limited lenses have a raised dot that you can feel. It makes it easier to change the lens without having to look directly at the lens, you can keep your eye on the action while changing lenses.