Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

And while you are at it, I recommend a ring flash / light. I went w/ an inexpensive one, and it works fine, but you probably want one that can function simply as an LED ring light. (Ie, not necessarily flash. The light makes for much more reliable metering. I also like one that allows you to illumine just one side or the other of the light so that can get some shadows to show depth if you want.) HERE is a review of the one I got.

07-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
And while you are at it, I recommend a ring flash / light. I went w/ an inexpensive one, and it works fine, but you probably want one that can function simply as an LED ring light. (Ie, not necessarily flash. The light makes for much more reliable metering. I also like one that allows you to illumine just one side or the other of the light so that can get some shadows to show depth if you want.) HERE is a review of the one I got.
Good advice but don't go for a led system if you need to work colour accurate because those cheap leds won't do you anything good. It's almost like using natrium streetlight as your light source.
07-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In regards to focal length vs. working distance and also why a ring light is a good idea, here is my 50mm Sigma doing a little 1:1 work.

There is also a strong case for using a focus rail if fixed magnification is desired. At high magnification, it is much easier to focus by moving the full assembly (camera + lens) or even the subject as opposed to the lens elements. That is why a dual rail (top/bottom) bellows is a good thing.

Steve
07-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #19

Original Poster
Re copy stands - is it something like this I am looking for? Is this one any good?

Rocwing Rocwing Pro Copy Stand M + Quick release Plate: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

07-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It should be long enough for 100mm macro but the reviews say it'ss not a solid stand...
07-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Redundant Banker Quote
Re copy stands - is it something like this I am looking for? Is this one any good?

Rocwing Rocwing Pro Copy Stand M + Quick release Plate: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
These can work, but I prefer to make one from an old enlarger with a sloping column, because it ensures that the base of the column is always outside the FOV of the lens.

One thing to consider is for copy stand work, is shorter focal lengths work better for some copy work because you achieve the magnification with a shorter column height.

Also consider a right angle finder, preferably with some magnification and a good diopter adjustment.
07-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Shouldn't liveview with the zoom function not be handier then a viewfinder in this situation?

07-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Shouldn't liveview with the zoom function not be handier then a viewfinder in this situation?
Copy stand is usually on a bench and hard to get above the camera
07-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #24

It would be nice if Pentax would support Liveview tethering as some of the competition does. It might work with pk_tether but the author warns not to do it.
07-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Copy stand is usually on a bench and hard to get above the camera
You have mirrors for the LCD
Or else you can always fixed a television to it.
07-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It would be nice if Pentax would support Liveview tethering as some of the competition does. It might work with pk_tether but the author warns not to do it.
HDMI should work
07-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
This is the one point where the moveable and articulated viewing screen would be a benefit
07-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
IMO DA 35/2.8 Macro work very well for plants and flowers where you don't need longer working distance.
The shorter focal length makes it easier to hand hold and you might not need to stop the lens down as much as you would with longer focal length. And sometimes it's also a advantage to have wider FOV of shorter focal length.
07-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
IMO DA 35/2.8 Macro work very well for plants and flowers where you don't need longer working distance.
The shorter focal length makes it easier to hand hold and you might not need to stop the lens down as much as you would with longer focal length. And sometimes it's also a advantage to have wider FOV of shorter focal length.
Not sure why you believe a shorter focal length makes it easier to hand hold. At any magnification the impact of camera shake is related to the magnification of the image and nothing else, although the shorter focal length is lighter ........ Usually
07-31-2013, 04:10 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I recently needed to make some macro shots of some resistors for a lecture I will be giving next week. The smallest was a 1/8W resistor (axial leads) which has a length equal to the "zab" in the queen's name on the Australian 5c coin. I used a SMC Takumar 50/4 macro mounted on bellows, fully extended. The lens was taking an angled view of the resistor laying on the coin with the bellows extended enough that the front rim of the lens was nearly touching the subject (the vanity ring has a very deep recess to the fron element). I used a lamp for illumination which was still tricky to get light on the subject and not get a shadow of the lens in the frame.

Nice lens that I had picked up less than a year ago for USD50-60.