Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #1

What kind of lenses do I have?

I have these two 35mm lenses, but could use some help identifying what kind they are. Let me preface this by saying I am almost clueless about lenses, but I'll state what little I do know ...

Here's what I do know:
- I figured out how to change the k10 settings so these function with the camera
- I even realized I need to change to manual focus
- I know that the longer one shoots at a 80-200mm, and the smaller one is a fixed focal length of 50mm

Here's what I don't know:
- I see everyone's abbreviations when they talk about what lenses they have, but do not understand what all the letters/numbers mean. What means what, and how does that relate to what I have?
- I see lots of posts about A and K rings .. what does that mean, what do I have, and what do I need to know?
- Advice on what types of situations are best for these two lenses? (of course, I also have the kit lens)
- Any advice on how the aperture rings work?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-20-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have one "A" lens and one "K/M" lens. Put the aperture ring into the A position (pressing the little locking tab) on the 50mm f/2 and it will function for exposure exactly like your kit lens. The 50mm lens is one of Pentax's lesser normal lenses, but still should be good.

I cannot identify the other lens as to make, but it will need you to work the aperture ring. Look in the SLR lens forum and search on "Exposure".
03-21-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first one like albert said is the Pentax A 50mm F2.0 Here is what others have said about it:
Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm F2

I don't know the other, there are literally dozens and dozens of 80-200mm zooms out there. Pentax itself has 3 or four, but all of those have a filter size of 52mm, not the 55mm that yours does (filter size is the o with the line through it, followed by a number). I doubt that it is a valuable lens tho, the f4.5 means it is only a moderate 'consumer class' lens.

To answer a few of your other questions:
The Aperture ring is the device which allows you to set the inside diameter of the lens to let in more or less light. It is the ring closest to the camera body with the "22 16 11... " numbers on it.
A Pentax "A" lens means that the aperture is automatic, but the focus is manual, like Albert said you can use it exactly like your kit lens as long as the lens is set to the "A" setting on the aperture ring.
A Pentax "K" lens is one that is fully manual. You will need to set the camera to the "M" setting to be able to use a "K" lens fully. Do a search for "how to use manual lenses" which will give you complete instructions.
A Pentax "M" lens is like a "K" lens only smaller and lighter, but it is still a fully manual lens.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 03-21-2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: just noticed the other questions
03-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

I don't know the other, there are literally dozens and dozens of 80-200mm zooms out there. Pentax itself has 3 or four, but all of those have a filter size of 52mm, not the 55mm that yours does (filter size is the o with the line through it, followed by a number). I doubt that it is a valuable lens tho, the f4.5 means it is only a moderate 'consumer class' lens.
I agree, that F4.5 is not the top of the class, but this lens has a F4.5 all the way to 200mm. That is not bad either.

03-21-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Judging by the "MC" on that zoom, it could be a Tokina.

And for future posting, can you please stack images one on top of the other, to prevent unnecessary page-widening?
03-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ldelude Quote
I have these two 35mm lenses, but could use some help identifying what kind they are. Let me preface this by saying I am almost clueless about lenses, but I'll state what little I do know ...

Here's what I do know:
- I figured out how to change the k10 settings so these function with the camera
- I even realized I need to change to manual focus
- I know that the longer one shoots at a 80-200mm, and the smaller one is a fixed focal length of 50mm

Here's what I don't know:
- I see everyone's abbreviations when they talk about what lenses they have, but do not understand what all the letters/numbers mean. What means what, and how does that relate to what I have?
- I see lots of posts about A and K rings .. what does that mean, what do I have, and what do I need to know?
- Advice on what types of situations are best for these two lenses? (of course, I also have the kit lens)
Lets use the Pentax A to answer your questions...

SMC= Super Multi Coated
1:2 = Constant maximum aperature is 2.0
50mm = Focal length

The "A" and "K" are referring to two different things. The "A" is referring to the series of lens. Pentax made M, A, F, FA, D, DA and there are "*" (star) varients of each series denoting pro grade lenses. The "K" is referring to the lens mount type. Your basic two types of mounts are M42(screw) and the "K" which is the modern mount.

The situations vary on your style of shooting, the only real limiting factor on when/where to use the lenses would be the aperature, faster lenses, ie. larger aperature, smaller f/x number work better in low light situations. But that can be worked around with hish ISO and other factors.

If you leave the aperature ring in "A" the camera will control the aperature settings. If your lens has no "A" setting then you have to make the K10D use the aperature ring. As far as the ring itself, the lower the number the larger the aperature opening and the more light you are letting in to his the sensor.
03-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
And for future posting, can you please stack images one on top of the other, to prevent unnecessary page-widening?
If they use the "Attach Image" feature of this forum I don't think they get the choice in arranging the way the images are presented. The software decides if it will be stacked or side by side depending on the width of the uploaded image. But please correct me if I am wrong.
03-21-2008, 05:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Your 80-200mm lens is made by CPC which was most likely only a distributor (like Sears, JC Penney). As far as I know they did not make their lenses so yours is probably made by someone else. Quick search on the internet revealed that this zoom lens is quite good despite its low resell value.

MC on the lens stands for multi coated. o55 is the filter size.

03-21-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Regarding your 80-200, I have an almost identical one, a Soligor 80-200, but it's not constant f/4.5. I suspect it is made by Tokina. Good lens (for the money I paid for it)
03-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with a constant f/4 70-200mm zoom! You can still get nicely blurred backgrounds at f/4, 200mm. They're also alot lighter than the f/2.8 versions. I love my Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS, much cheaper (and lighter) than the f/2.8 And there is nothing "moderate consumer class" about it....(I hope not, I paid over $1K for it!)

Anyway, the 50mm is pretty decent, and much faster than the kit lens at 50mm. My first (errr, 2nd) lens with my DS was a Sears 80-200mm f/4, and I got some nice shots out of it (although mine had the 'A' setting)
03-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
If they use the "Attach Image" feature of this forum I don't think they get the choice in arranging the way the images are presented. The software decides if it will be stacked or side by side depending on the width of the uploaded image. But please correct me if I am wrong.
I think you are right .. I did use the "Attach" image, and didnt have much more choice. Could it have been the way I re-sized the images? In PS Elements, I changed the pixels on the long size to be 480 ...