Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

sakar 500m f8 (non mirror) any good?

I have been looking at getting a long lens or 2 (400mm +), and have been considering several brands (vivitars were recommended). I'm just looking at the cheapo (or sometimes not so cheapo) t mount ones. So I have found info on most I have ran across except I can not find anything on this one. Any search for sakar 500mm brings up endless hits about the mirror lens but not the non mirror lens version (the big long one).

So has anyone even heard anything about the sakar 500mm f8 non mirror lens? Fyi, knowing me I will probably buy more than one lens. I already have a tou five star 500mm f8 and am looking for better (I know not to expect to much from these types of lenses) and or faster like a 400mm 5.6. I have found at leas a little info on most I have ran across except this sakar one.

07-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If it is cheap enough, it is worth a shot. I have a feeling it might have been made by Samyang, who are doing some very good stuff lately, but their older glass isn't that great.

One that is a pretty safe bet is a 400mm f6.3 that was sold under many names. It was made by Tokina and has the interchangeable T-mount, so finding one with a dead mount like Minolta MD or Canon FD on it could be very cheap. I've seen it under Tokina, Vivitar, Spiratone, Bushnell, Soligor, Lentar, Asanuma and probably a dozen more.
07-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If it is cheap enough, it is worth a shot. I have a feeling it might have been made by Samyang, who are doing some very good stuff lately, but their older glass isn't that great.

One that is a pretty safe bet is a 400mm f6.3 that was sold under many names. It was made by Tokina and has the interchangeable T-mount, so finding one with a dead mount like Minolta MD or Canon FD on it could be very cheap. I've seen it under Tokina, Vivitar, Spiratone, Bushnell, Soligor, Lentar, Asanuma and probably a dozen more.
Thanks a bunch, that was very useful information. I have been looking at the spiratone 400mm 6.3 and soligor and recently discovered they were the same (I had been led to believe they were a bit better than some). I was not aware that they were made by tokina though, and was not aware that they were the same as the other brands you mentioned. I had already decided to try and get the spiratone (they seem to sell for less than the soligor despite being the same lens). Knowing the other brands are the same will make shopping much easier.

Thanks again.
07-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah the Soligor (etc) 400 f6.3 are not too bad.
I found I could capture more detailed photos with mine than with my DAL 55 - 300 at 300 (which is a pretty reasonable lens itself). but I would not call it a sharp lens.

It did let me get this shot: Moon shot 3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

07-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was told the vivitar 5.6 was better than these but they also seem to sell for a lot more, so I'll probably do a little more research (see if there are different versions etc) and take my time buying if I do. The spiratone etc. are so cheap there is not really any harm in just impulse buying one for something to play around with.