Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Glass

Seeing as PF is pretty limited to just camera related stuff for the most part, I didn't know where else to put this, I don't know how many people here are big hunters, or enjoy shooting things (like myself) but I find myself in need of a new scope for my Remington 700. I currently have a Nikon Buckmaster BDC scope on it (optics suck and the crosshair is too big to see the target) I have been eyeing the Pentax 4-16x44 Lightseeker XL for a while now, but I honestly have no idea how Pentax glass is in their rifle scopes, if it is anything like it is in their camera lenses, I'd be nowhere short of pleased. But This is a lower cost lens to other options I had in mind, most people I know rely on Leupold scopes, but I have my eye on a couple others (from Leupold I am looking at the VX-L) I have my eye on one made by Zeiss, the 6.5-20x50 Conquest AO MC to be exact, and from Trijicon, AccuPoint 2.5-10x56. I am curious to know if anyone knows anything about these companies, and the quality of optics within them. If I had the money, I'd love to get one of the $3,000 Swaro's, or Zeiss's or one of the $2,000 Leica's but... That's out of budget, haha. If anyone could shed any light on these that'd be really swell! Or if anyone has any suggestions for top notch glass in a rifle scope, that be great too! I am going to be putting it on my Remington 700 in .308, so anything really will work, as it doesn't have much recoil. And preferable something with an illuminated reticle would be nice, but not necessary. Just needs to have top notch glass, and have halfway decent low-light performance, oh.. And one last thing, it also has to look good too.. And if you have any suggestions on what would have the best glass, my budget is $1,000 or less. Thanks everyone!

07-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

There may be someone here who has used Pentax on other than a camera. I have some Pentax binoculars which are fine and I would think their scopes would be too. Personally I use Leupold and Redfield (Leupold manufacture Redfield anyway). I prefer the Redfields for a variety of reasons. I have a 3-9 Accurange on my Sako .308. Redfield is certainly affordable - more of a "budget" offering. The outfit takes some rough treatment riding in the Suzuki or on the quad with me but it never loses its zero. The crosshairs on the Redfield are not as thin as some, but I think they are about right for use in the field. The scope is always set on "3" for me, except when I am sighting in and it is on "9".
07-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
There may be someone here who has used Pentax on other than a camera. I have some Pentax binoculars which are fine and I would think their scopes would be too. Personally I use Leupold and Redfield
I've used Leupold before, I have the VX-L on just about all of my rifles, but I figured I'd try something else for a change; I really like Leupold, but how do you think the optics stack up to a Zeiss in the same price range?
07-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Seeing as PF is pretty limited to just camera related stuff for the most part, I didn't know where else to put this
Well, there is an idea. You might want to drop a suggest to Adam suggesting that a section for sport optics might be in order.

Steve

07-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter

I've used Leupold before, I have the VX-L on just about all of my rifles, but I figured I'd try something else for a change; I really like Leupold, but how do you think the optics stack up to a Zeiss in the same price range?
I haven't looked through a Zeiss myself, But the tests on the Zeiss Conquest range have been good and they are not too expensive. I don't buy all that much gear. Once I have a particular set up I tend to stick with it if the ferals give it the thumbs up (or maybe that should be "toes up").
07-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, there is an idea. You might want to drop a suggest to Adam suggesting that a section for sport optics might be in order.

Steve
Well, unfortunately, he says at this time, that is out of the scope of this forum (haha, a pun ) and that it likely would not receive much traffic. Perhaps if we were to get a poll and see how many people that use this site would be interested in a sport optic section?
Cheers
07-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

For me practical aspects take precedent over aesthetic, take into account aspects like eye-relief, if you wear shooting glasses (personally I don't), do you need variable Magnification? and what kind of environments are you going to be using it in will place limitations on the FOV that will be required also take into account the diameter of the entry and exit pupils these figures will give you a good idea if the scope will be usable under dim conditions - but above all, use what gets the job done.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-27-2013 at 08:55 PM.
07-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
For me practical aspects take precedent over aesthetic, take into account aspects like eye-relief, if you wear shooting glasses (personally I don't), do you need variable Magnification? and what kind of environments are you going to be using it in will place limitations on the FOV that will be required also take into account the diameter of the entry and exit pupils these figures will give you a good idea if the scope will be usable under dim conditions - but above all, use what gets the job done.
Well, I would like something to use at the range (as that is where I do the most shooting) but I also need something for hunting deer as well. I don't wear shooting glasses, but I do have regular eyeglasses that I wear at all times. Variable magnification isn't a requirement necessarily, but would be really helpful as I shoot targets anywhere from 100 or less yards, to 1200 or more yards. The environments that it will typically be used in (summer months at the range) are typically going to be very hot (around 80+ degrees) and very humid most of the time, and when I use it for hunting it is generally very cold, sometimes around -15 degrees. (Gotta love Wisconsin weather haha ) And for the most part I will not be using this scope in low light situations, in the early morning, to early evening, but I would like the availability of a good low light performance. In all honesty, I would like anything with a 50mm front objective, or bigger. I have a few that are 40, and 44mm and it just doesn't cut it, doesn't let in enough light, and doesn't have enough contrast.

07-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I would like anything with a 50mm front objective, or bigger. I have a few that are 40, and 44mm and it just doesn't cut it, doesn't let in enough light, and doesn't have enough contrast.
personally I use a Zeiss Victory 6-24x72 T* Diavari on my Handmade double rifles ( double .308) this scope has a very large front element and is superb for spotting game in dim light - BUT this scope costs well over $3,000. One thing to take note of is the coating used on the scope has a massive impact on the contrast of images, I have no experience with Pentax Rifle scopes, but if their scopes are anything like their lenses then the coating should be excellent. After taking a look at the selection Pentax has on offer I would say the Gameseeker II series should suit your purposes well.
07-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Don't know about the Pentax scopes, but I can't imagine them being any less quality than their camera lenses. I've had a pair of Pentax compact binos for 20+ years. My wife and I still use them. More recently I've purchased a pair of Vortex binos. These have a lifetime warranty. If they ever break or malfunction, ever, Vortex will repair or replace them, even if you're not the original owner(no warranty card or registration needed)! Their riflescopes are pretty nice as well, with the same warranty. On my 50cal muzzleloader I have a Nikon Monark 2.5 X 7 I bought used for $150. It's very bright and sharp. I'm very happy with it. If I was buying one now I'd be looking into the Vortex. New or used their warranty is tops.