Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Article on EosHD about Pentax Lens.

Lets see if any of you go 'Aarrrrrrgggghhh!' at the same point I did.

\$60 Pentax that's actually a \$800 Zeiss by designer of Stanley Kubrick's NASA glass » EOSHD.com

Seems the reporter is a bit of a hack when it comes to mechanical skills.

07-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If someone wants to sell his SMC 28mm f2.0 for 60USD (or even 80USD) just PM me.
Should I post this on "Wanted items"?
07-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool article, but I think this is the cringe-worthy part:

QuoteQuote:
to do this you need to unscrew 3 small screws on the side of the mount holding the protruding piece of redundant plastic casing and bend back and forth the aperture lever for old Pentax bodies until it snaps off – you don’t need that bit on a Canon DSLR.
I hate you, arrogant Canon man.
Stop ruining our lenses :/

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-27-2013 at 04:29 AM.
07-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pitchforks and flaming torches, heads on pikes - you know the drill. There should be a level of hell reserved for lens butchers like this.

Good luck finding a SMCP-K 28mm f/2 for $60

07-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Aren't there any rare L lenses we can "modify" the same way?
07-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Na Horuk: Got it in one.

I'm waiting to see if my forum post criticizing the author for that action passes moderation.
07-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't read stuff like that.
It makes me think of people that eat Orange Roughy or want ivory trinkets.
Their *needs* ignore the limited and irreplaceable nature of what they consume.
Oh well.

07-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure there is no K 45mm f/2.8 and a K 50mm f/1.7. They've butchered it. O please dear pentaxians who are about to sell their gear asked the buyer if they are pentaxians as well I don't want to see another one of those 28's Frankensteined.
07-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Banned

This is partly because Pentax still doesn't have a freakin FF camera ... Old lenses that could be far more versatile are sold to Canikon butchers for cheap, who operate them and turn into their zombies.
Several weeks ago I saw what that RiceHigh did to his 85mm lens to use it on Canon; luckily he did not have a Nikon body, because the massacre would be beyond repair.
Damn Pentax, I really, really hate you just for that -- that Frankensteins are buying our legacy lenses for cheap and ruining them because Pentaxians don't have an FF camera ....yet!
07-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
This is partly because Pentax still doesn't have a freakin FF camera ... Old lenses that could be far more versatile are sold to Canikon butchers for cheap, who operate them and turn into their zombies.
Several weeks ago I saw what that RiceHigh did to his 85mm lens to use it on Canon; luckily he did not have a Nikon body, because the massacre would be beyond repair.
Damn Pentax, I really, really hate you just for that -- that Frankensteins are buying our legacy lenses for cheap and ruining them because Pentaxians don't have an FF camera ....yet!
I was thinking the Exact. Same. Thing.
07-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
wow seen it.
07-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

EOSHD runs some great material, and I'm sure they had good intentions with this article. It was simply inaccurate. However, I think it's great that some Canon users are being exposed to the idea of using Pentax lenses. I shoot video professionally with my Canon 60D and my K mount lenses simply because Pentax refuses to compete in the video front, but I don't wish to switch systems entirely. In fact, I find my M series lenses and Samyang lenses to be superior for video usage, due to the longer focus throws.
07-27-2013, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

It sucks that they are modifying lenses, sometimes irreversibly, however at the end of the day a lens is created to be used (either for photography or video). I think it is much better for a lens to be bought by a Canon user, modded and used on their 5d (mark whatever) to its full potential rather than gathering dust in some bin somewhere. And yes, this is probably not so great for us, since demand by canon users of pentax lenses inflates the prices for all of us. But hey, photography is about taking pictures, no?
07-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I think the jokes on him, as he just made a $600 lens worth about $60
07-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I think the jokes on him, as he just made a $600 lens worth about $60
He'll try to sell that lens to someone for the full $600, I guarantee. I've seen it tried, as if the mod added value. I hate seeing this done to a rare or uncommon lens. One of the examples I kept images of was a guy who took Dremel and unsteady hand to a near pristine Minolta MD 200/2.8 so it would work on an EOS. I don't think it's so bad to butcher a common lens (all normals except f1.2, 28/3.5 or 2.8, 35/2.8, 135/3.5 or 2.8, 200/4 or 3.5), there are a lot of them around still, and a whole lot of them off-brands which can't fetch good money and are ignored. Those are regrettable but don't damage the market really. Fast/rare ones are less justifiable unless they're hard to sell. I have five Nikkors which have seen heavy use, optically fine but cosmetically very worn, all Ai/AiS and I keep itching to grind the tabs off but haven't done so yet.