Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dragon Fly Test Shots with New K-5II and Sigma 50-500mm

I have been trying out my new K-5II camera with my Sigma 50-500mm, and the one thing I notice is the big difference in AF performance on all lenses. Before I bought the camera, I expected that the new SAFOX X would mainly improve fast lenses in low light. Interestingly, my super telephoto lens is now also performing so much better due to the AF locking on subjects correctly. I attached a few dragon fly shots I took just now using my new camera, and focusing is now a breeze. For so long I blamed the soft shots on the lens optics, assuming it was sharp close in and less sharp for distant focusing. I incorrectly thought this, because of the consistent results I was getting. I do not focus very accurately manually, and rely on AF a lot of the time.

(I did process the photos: cropped, adjusted lighting, sharpened.)

Attached Images

07-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great to hear your good experience!
07-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those are super. Dragon Flies are pretty tricky, they don't sit still for long!
07-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Dragon Flies are pretty tricky, they don't sit still for long!
My experience is very different. The ones in my yard not only stay still for a long time, but even if they fly away they return to the exact same spot, usually the tip of a support stick on flower pots. Setting up a tripod and using a macro lens is very easy even with manual focus and Live View.

It feels that they actually pose and if I extend my finger, many times they land on it and stay for some time looking at me

07-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
And then here I have some more Dragon Flies.... The orange one was more difficult to focus. My guess is because of the high contrast grassy location.
Attached Images