Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA 43 1.9 vs DA 40 2.8 limited

I just (regretting) sold my FA 43. I would like to possibly pick up a less expensive DA 40.
Is the DA as sharp and saturated as the FA?

any thoughts welcomed

randy

07-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dear God, what have you done?
07-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Don't have a 43 mm....but I do have the 40 mm Limited and I'm a stickler for sharpness. My 40 Limited is very sharp.
07-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I love my DA 40 Limited. Just like what lesmore49 said... I am a stickler for sharpness too...and mine is sharp wide open on through...

07-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have had both and kept the FA 43 1.9 because of the 1.9 versus the 2.8 The rendering and colour contrast are similar, I think that the FA43 is a touch sharper, by a hair maybe. The DA 40mm xs is supposed to be optically the same as the 40mm limited so you could spend even less and get the xs lens instead.
07-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Pentaxian

No, they're not similar. They are different tools and each have their strengths and weaknesses. I have owned the DA 40, but sold it because it couldn't compete with the 43. That being said I didn't have any problem with the 40; it's a very nice lens and does its job well, but it's not the 43.

The good:
The DA 40 Limited is small, sharp, and has quick-shift. It is built very well.
The FA 43 Limited is compact, fast, even sharper, has an aperture ring, renders beautifully, and has pixie dust. It is built very well.
The DA 40 XS is extremely small, covers FF, and inexpensive.

The bad:
The 40 doesn't have the same "character" or pixie dust, no aperture ring, f/2.8 is not fast, lens cap can be a pain.
The 43 doesn't have quick-shift, it's minimum focus distance could be a bit closer.
The XS lens cap isn't great.

I use my 43 for film and digital. The XS works great on film cameras allowing aperture control for a compact pocket 35mm camera.
07-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I didn't go into the detail as you did so thanks for that, but I think he asked how similar "Is the DA as sharp and saturated as the FA" and in the photos I've taken the DA 40 have been almost as sharp as far as I'm concerned, I'm not in pixel peeping else I would have bought a Nikon D800. The saturation for the DA has been excellent on my copy and when I've compared photos of the same subjects to test the differences in these 2 areas I can barely tell the difference.

I agree with you on the physical differences of the lenses but I only took the review of the xs lens and what it said about it being close optically to the 40 limited. I think it depends on what how we like our photos seen at the end, some like them sharper, more contrast, but in today's world look how many people are using all the vintage filters around.

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
No, they're not similar. They are different tools and each have their strengths and weaknesses. I have owned the DA 40, but sold it because it couldn't compete with the 43. That being said I didn't have any problem with the 40; it's a very nice lens and does its job well, but it's not the 43.

The good:
The DA 40 Limited is small, sharp, and has quick-shift. It is built very well.
The FA 43 Limited is compact, fast, even sharper, has an aperture ring, renders beautifully, and has pixie dust. It is built very well.
The DA 40 XS is extremely small, covers FF, and inexpensive.

The bad:
The 40 doesn't have the same "character" or pixie dust, no aperture ring, f/2.8 is not fast, lens cap can be a pain.
The 43 doesn't have quick-shift, it's minimum focus distance could be a bit closer.
The XS lens cap isn't great.

I use my 43 for film and digital. The XS works great on film cameras allowing aperture control for a compact pocket 35mm camera.
07-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #8

I personally have not owned the 43, but I absolutely love the DA 40. It's optical quality is up there and is decent sharp for me @2.8 I never really found myself needing a 40/43 mm @1.9 so DA was the way to go for me. On the other hand though, FA 77 would be the way to go over a DA 70.

07-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

DA 40 XS is sharp and having nice rendition - don't know how it compares though. I sold it yesterday btw.
07-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter

It has all been said before. I had both for over a year, but recently sold the DA40 because I simply never opted for it when choosing between the two.

The DA40 is an excellent tradesman: tiny, sharp, well built, well behaved and predictable, but a little prosaic. For my hands it is a little too small for the supposedly important quick shift to be very useful.

The FA43 is a virtuoso artist: still compact, fast, magical (although occasionally temperamental) rendering, unique starbursts due to the 8 blade aperture, amazing central sharpness wide open, and blisteringly sharp everywhere from f/5.6. Colours, contrast and saturation are consistently wonderful. The focal length also sat nicely in between what my other primes offered.

Comparing the adjectives used in the previous two paragraphs pretty much tells the story.
07-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Dear God, what have you done?
Maybe it will be returned

Thanks

Randy
07-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Love my DA40 - here at f/3.2
07-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
I didn't go into the detail as you did so thanks for that, but I think he asked how similar "Is the DA as sharp and saturated as the FA"
You're correct, thanks for pointing the discussion in the right direction. Sandy may have expressed my thoughts best in the quote shown below regarding the colors of the DA 40. Sharpness has been addressed here thoroughly, so the only thing I could add to this statement is indeed the colors and results from the DA 40 are a bit clinical, where the 43 often gives pleasant surprises.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA40 is an excellent tradesman: tiny, sharp, well built, well behaved and predictable, but a little prosaic.