Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

what was the cause for pentax lens price hike?

I saw a review of the FA50 at dpreview in 2008, and they said the street price was 200, I think it's safe to say we don't get that price anymore, but why did we have that price jump? inflation can't be it, no way it goes up 50% in just 4 years.

07-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Does it need t have a cause?
07-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I paid $199 for mine, and $249 for an FA35/2. My take on pricing:

Lenses are manufactured in batches and stored until shipped, sometimes for years.

Pentax priced them at the cost of manufacture plus a profit and held the price, marketing them to mid-market consumers as a great value on a price versus quality basis.

Hoya raised prices on the entire lens line at one time, taking an inventory gain for thier books.

Ricoh established a more aggressive pricing mechanism quite similar to that used by Nikon as the thry to establish Pentax's enthusiast line as a more premium product and less a value product.
07-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
I saw a review of the FA50 at dpreview in 2008, and they said the street price was 200, I think it's safe to say we don't get that price anymore, but why did we have that price jump? inflation can't be it, no way it goes up 50% in just 4 years.
They probably need the extra cash. Theoretically, in April of last year, they started enforcing a strict MAP policy that meant that all online stores needed to charge full price. Then, earlier this year, they further increased the prices of a handful of lenses (i.e. the 100mm macro went up by $100 to $849).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They probably WANT the extra cash.
Fixed that for you?
07-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
Fixed that for you?
Personally, I'm not so sure. Pentax lenses have very low sales volumes, so if they want to do more advertising/promo/rebate stuff, they'd have to raise the prices. Remember that prices vary by region, so different politics apply to US/Canada/Japan/EU prices.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No it isn't inflation, but that is how lens pricing can be - when you're talking more desirable lenses, they will go up in the long run, and it won't be incremental, it is generally a jolt. Also, the reality was they just brought the pricing in line with every competitor in that particular lens' case. That isn't just a Pentax thing, all of the camera makers do it (the only exception is newer low to mid consumer oriented lenses which do tend to lose some value at some point, depending on their desirability...of course that can work the other way as well).

07-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
Banned

I see you are from the US and perpetuating questions talked about here almost exclusively for the last two years.
In short, the list of sins of Pentax Imaging USA is long and colourful.
07-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Is the correct answer profit, or is that just me being cynical?
07-28-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Is the correct answer profit, or is that just me being cynical?
No, that's you being true to the reputation of your countrymen

07-28-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Greed
07-28-2013, 05:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the money, the FA lenses are still the best out there. I picked up the 31mm the day before the price went from $1K to $1,200 in the U.S. (phew) and last week added the 77mm. I darn near bought the 43mm at Yodobashi today before I head back to the states tomorrow, but in a moment of idiocy decided not to. Anyway, the images I've gotten with the 31mm make it worth the price. Why are Pentax lenses more expensive? Because they're worth it. I've shot Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, and other marquee brands and my top-tier Pentax glass is better than everything but the Zeiss. (*the 31mm FA Limited may be the best lens I've ever used.)
07-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Greed
Also the first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the thread title. I don't know how low their sales volume is. Some lenses are often on backorder.
07-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #14

It's not that the lens prices went up, they've gone up on all makers and mounts. It's the degree the Pentax lenses have increased that concerns me, quite a lot more % wise than other makers. The reason is simply Ricoh trying to grab some better margins, problem is they're putting off new users with price hikes on lenses. And I thought Hoya were not great...Ricoh are not doing a good job IMO
07-30-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

In 2008 Ricoh did not own pentax right?

Also which country are we talking about?
Wasnt there a price hike because of the brick and mortart stores (or how else you call them?)