Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 05:45 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivitar 24mm F2.0 manual lens

Anybody have this lens? Some of the Vivitars are superior lenses, some are poop. The 2.0 seems to indicate a higher quality lens. but...
Did a forum search but couldn't come up with anything.

NaCl(any information greatly appreciated)H2O

03-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey nacl,

a couple of months ago i was searching for a wide angle to use with digital and with film, and found something about that lens, it's not very much though.
they say it's a very good lens, soft wide open, but starts to sharp at around F/4

I ended up buying a M20/4 to a fellow forum member.

here are the links i have bookmarked:

Pentax Forum: Vivitar 24MM F2.0 - Opinions Wanted - photo.net
What Lens to Buy
Casual Conversations Forum: Kiron Vivitar 24mm/28mm f/2.0 stuck aperture cheap workaround - photo.net
Vivitar Lenses

photos taken with it:
Vivitar 24mm f2 MC Kiron made
03-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After a few months of search, I've decided it's not worth buying this lens for the price it sells at on eBay. I love the compactness of these classic lenses, but my pocket has a limit. And so, I've decided to buy the Sigma 24mm f/1.8, which by all accounts is a great lens. I know it's larger and heavier, but at least I'm getting something new...and I can use it in Av mode, too
03-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
CWL

I just received this LENS today. I got it for $44 from ebay. I think it doesn't hurt if you can find one at this price. Havn't got time to test it. I will test it on this weekend and let you know how is the quality.

03-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #5
CWL

I finally have time to test the LENS. It is not sharp at F2, worst than FA50mm at F1.4. At F4-F8 it is quite sharp, but nothing to rave about. I have sharper results with fa50mm and fa43mm, but then price is not the same. I found even my sigma 10-20mm is sharper at 20mm F/8, but Vivitar has the speed advantage. Bokeh is quite smooth at F2. Color is ok, better then Sigma Zoom Lens I have, but not as good as the Pentax ones. The major problem I have with this Lens is that I found it difficult to manual focus at 24mm in low light situation, even I have a special viewfinder designed for better manual focusing. Things become small in the viewfinder... I have no problem manual focus at longer focal lengths. Another problem is that I bought it for the F2 wide open, but it doesn't serve me well on that apperture. Conclusion is that while it is cheap, it is not what I was looking for. The F2 is usable (marginal), but my expectation was higher. I would rather buy a f2.8 zoom, or the expansive fa31mm, or wait for the new DA* 30mm. Or perhaps, I should just get the K20D for its high ISO performance in low light.