Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 question

I tried to find my answer by searching around the forums yesterday and today but ..... how can i get my K-5 to take photos with the SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4? On another older zoom lens that i have now, i set a dial on the lens to "A" and that works but i don't know yet if this lens has that also. I tried once, but will try again later once I'm home again. Thanks for any assistance.

07-30-2013, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shark7 Quote
I tried to find my answer by searching around the forums yesterday and today but ..... how can i get my K-5 to take photos with the SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4? On another older zoom lens that i have now, i set a dial on the lens to "A" and that works but i don't know yet if this lens has that also. I tried once, but will try again later once I'm home again. Thanks for any assistance.
If you use Av mode, the camera will only detect the lens as being wide open (at f1.4) regardless of the aperture ring setting (because it is not an A lens with electrical contacts). Which means you can use Av mode at f1.4 and it will meter for you etc. If you need to use another aperture, then change the aperture ring setting, use M mode and the the green button to set exposure.
07-30-2013, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

You have to use stop-down metering or shoot wide open in Av mode:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html
07-30-2013, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shark7 Quote
M-series lenses do not have A setting. You need to select aperture from the ring and use the green button for metering.

Seb

07-30-2013, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The crucial piece is to set custom function "Use Aperture Ring" to "Permitted" as explained in the article pointed to by Not a Number above.
07-30-2013, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once you're set up the way Ole and others have mentioned,
and you're in M mode on the mode dial, with fixed ISO,
you can just press the Av button to set the correct shutter speed
for the aperture you've chosen with the aperture ring.

Very useful for fast shooting when the light keeps changing.
07-30-2013, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #7

Another option is to twist the depth of field preview switch (the power switch around the shutter) which stops the lens down, allows you to check depth of field in the viewfinder, and enables the camera to meter correctly. Most times I prefer this to the green button.
07-31-2013, 08:24 AM   #8

Original Poster
Extremely helpful replies thank you.. "Like"d each one.. don't know if that helps rep or something like that or not though.

07-31-2013, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

We are all glad to help. Happy photographing. Post some photos later and I'm sure we will all like them too.
08-01-2013, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Schick Quote
Another option is to twist the depth of field preview switch (the power switch around the shutter) which stops the lens down, allows you to check depth of field in the viewfinder, and enables the camera to meter correctly. Most times I prefer this to the green button.
Oh, did not know about this. Have to try it! I have to admit, the green button workflow is a bit clunky for me.
08-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

That's what I refer to as "Stop-down metering". You have to go into setup and make sure the preview mode is set to Optical. Not all the bodies have a dedicated control for the preview and some let you assign this function to another control.

This could probably be covered in more detail in the thread I linked above but I believe there is a companion thread on how to use the meter bars.
08-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #12

Original Poster
first test shots (28mm 2.8) <-- i goofed, wrong lens discussed here

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
We are all glad to help. Happy photographing. Post some photos later and I'm sure we will all like them too.
WHOOPS.... posted pics from the wrong lens..... sorry..... this is one that i most recently purchased...
I will have to correct this by uploading some 50mm shots soon I apologize..
-- should i delete this post??

Thanks! I've gotten only excellent advice and answers here since i joined.. and am proud to be shooting Pentax.
Still have lots to learn but i know this.. i like primes!!

Here are a few first shots.. indoors and out.. my favorite prime so far of the 3 that i've purchased recently.
(clicking a pic redirects to my picture host, then you can use the blue > arrow/s if you want to flip through the others on one page).

Last edited by shark7; 08-03-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: uploaded pics from wrong lens