Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

spiratone 400mm different versions?

For those of you that are not tired about me asking about these old cheapo coke bottle lens recently I was curious for anyone that has one, if they like it and what version it might be (taking into account its a cheapo preset tube lens).

The long and short of it might be does yours have a fluted focus grip (possibly metal) or a rubber square studded focus grip and do you like it for what it is? Perhaps also, does it actually say sharpshoter, and or does it actually say plura-coat.

What I have found out (I have this bad habit of over researching things).

Someone here said they though it and its clones in other brands were made by tokina. I have read a couple of other places that they were made by tamron. Two of these look identical to my tou five star 500mm (and unless I am mistaken, they made their own lenses).

There is a sharpshooter-s.

There is a sharpshoter plura-coat (their multi coated version)

Both are labeled as such on the front ring.

I read in a pdf of the original manual, the "deluxe" version is the plura-coat version and coexsisted with the non plura-coat version.

The copy I have seen pics of for both of the above versions look identical to my tou five star 500mm from the focus grip (including the focus grip) rearward. In front of it where the tube changes diameter, the tou five star is tapered at change in size, and the spiratone's have a square shoulder. There is one exception. The font of the arrows on the plura-coat's open close ring is different (pretty much all the other markings on both look the same or pretty close).

2 key points. The focus grip is a rubber grip with square studs, and to tripod mount is a removable ring (if you unscrew the tube sections it comes off), with a square lug on the bottom. It has a chrome knurled thumb screw.

There is the older non plura coat version. Some say sharpshooter on the lens, some do not. They seem to have the fluted focus grip and look completely different from the above 2. I think they both have a ring for the tripod mount that looks like it might be part of the tube, with a flat on the bottom of the ring (I have only looked at pictures of most of these). They have no attached lug for the tripod mount, just a flat.

There may be a 5th version that has a 67mm filter thread rather than a 72mm. There is also an even older version that is not f6.7, it is f 7.?. I have not seen any pics of that version.

So does anyone have any insight to the different versions, and or have an opinion about their version?

On a side note, I'm hesitant to get the plura-coat version even though its supposed to be better, as it looks too much like my tou five star. I'm wondering if the older lenses gained the rep for being a decent lens..