Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA* 16-50 arrived DOA

Purchased a 16-50 from KEH in LN- condition.

When I unpacked it, the first thing I did was turn the manual focus ring. It kept turning and turning which scared me.
Long story short, SDM is dead. The auto focus doesn't function and I'm returning it immediately.

I logged it in the serial number database.

07-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

The focus ring on the DA* lenses does not stop at MFD and infinity, so that was nothing to worry about.
Obviously, the SDM not working is another issue. I had the same experience when I unboxed my first, brand new, DA* lens - the 55. Its replacement hasn't missed a beat in twelve months.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 07-31-2013 at 05:26 PM.
07-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried pushing the AF/MF switch on both the lens and the camera a couple of times? And yes, it isn't supposed to have hard stops for the focus as it has a coupling.
07-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
I flipped the mf/af switches a few times. Nothing.
I viewed a couple of shots I took with the lens and I'm super impressed with the image quality. I almost asked to exchange but I think I'll be better off buying a sigma new

07-31-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Yeah the focus ring turns like that it's cool.
Sorry to hear that the sdm dident work... the only da* lens of mine that have had ''problems'' is my 16-50 but somebody told me that if you get some dirt on the contacts on the mount it will behave wierd or stop working, so i cleaned them by wiping them with my shirt and the focusing has worked ever since try it?
07-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Meatwipe Quote
Yeah the focus ring turns like that it's cool.
Sorry to hear that the sdm dident work... the only da* lens of mine that have had ''problems'' is my 16-50 but somebody told me that if you get some dirt on the contacts on the mount it will behave wierd or stop working, so i cleaned them by wiping them with my shirt and the focusing has worked ever since try it?
Good idea. I just wiped it all down, still dead.
07-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabbakh Quote
I viewed a couple of shots I took with the lens and I'm super impressed with the image quality. I almost asked to exchange but I think I'll be better off buying a sigma new
I don't think you'll get as good IQ out of the Sigma, but at least they've improved the build quality (and IQ, to an extent) on the new models they've come out with over the last couple of years or so. Still, if IQ is a primary consideration (as it is with me), I think you'll be happier getting a properly functioning DA*16-50.
07-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
Prodigital2000 has a new one for $999. Decisions decisions

07-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I don't think you'll get as good IQ out of the Sigma, but at least they've improved the build quality (and IQ, to an extent) on the new models they've come out with over the last couple of years or so. Still, if IQ is a primary consideration (as it is with me), I think you'll be happier getting a properly functioning DA*16-50.
Pretty much all tests deems them very close, real life use too. Remember that the 16-50 is a old Tokina/Pentax design that wasn't that impressive with the Tokina label either and quite expensive in its Pentax incarnation. I want one for the WR though!
07-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I had the Sigma 17-50/2.8 for a while and it is a very nice lens, but when I compared it and the DA*16-50 I opted to keep the latter. If you can get a new one at that price I'd be tempted to jump on it.

I presume you'll get your money back for the defective lens....
07-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabbakh Quote
Long story short, SDM is dead. The auto focus doesn't function and I'm returning it immediately.
When my DA* 16-50mm SDM started going bad for the second time it seemed to recover with a little trick: With the camera powered on and lens/camera in AF mode I would move the lens focus ring back and forth between the minimum and maximum focus distances. The sluggish or non-existent function of the AF mechanism seemed to come back to life after this maneuver, and the lens seemed to need it most when the lens in question had not been used or mounted on the DSLR for a while.

Nevertheless, the SDM motor was the problem, and had already been replaced once before. I don't know if SDM lenses require some kind of residual charge left in the motor, but my jump-starting method made me consider the idea. I'm not recommending you resort to my trick, although I mention it in case others experience something similar. No, send yours back and try something else.