Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Dust removal from lens

My M100 macro has some dust inside. The lens is hollow from the back, the rear lens is rather far from the mount itself.
How do one remove dust (without lens assembly), can I vacuum it? Any precautions to be taken into consideration?
I was planning to use a small kitchen gadget.

Seb

08-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No, a vacuum cleaner is useless and may even cause damage to the delicate aperture blades.

The only way to properly clean dust from inside the lens is to disassemble it.

Is the dust causing noticeable degredation to your image quality? If it's only a few specks (even up to a dozen or more) of tiny dust, then I doubt that you'll notice it in your images. In this case, you'd be better off leaving the lens alone as any attempt to clean it may introduce more dust or even worse, end up scratching one of the elements in the cleaning process. If, however, the dust is a fine layer that covers the entire surface of one of the elements, then yes, it will most likely cause some loss of contrast and loss of sharpness. In this situation, I would recommend cleaning the lens.

Last edited by tom1803; 08-01-2013 at 07:56 AM.
08-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you mean dust on the outside of the rear element? If so, you can just try to blow it out with something like a rocket blower. Hopefully it is not stuck on to the glass. Otherwise, disassemble may be the way to go. However, if it is really that deep into the lens, this also means that it is pretty far away from the sensor. It is unlikely that a little dust there will cause any visible IQ reduction.
08-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In this case I don't think a vacuum would hurt as the aperture blades are not exposed. But I would recommend instead a rocket blower or similar. You can also try an artists brush, use canned air on the brush which causes it to have a static electricity charge and helps to pick up the dust when the brush is used on the lens.

In short, as long as you are not opening the lens or using anything that will scratch the glass you have many options.

08-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I actually used this

on this

Blowing...I just made sure the aperture was wide open to prevent the blades disappearing
08-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Geez Christo!

I have a similar thing that can be reversed for suction. The pipe is way bigger than the lens btw. So I would only need to mount a 49mm thread on the wall for lens attachment.
I know a few dust specs won't affect the images. So I will maybe try the artists brush technique suggested by jatrax.

Seb
08-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

One warning regarding the use of artist's brush.

These brushes usually contain some glue and oil residue from the factory, even when brand new. Make sure to wash and clean the brush THOROUGHLY before getting it anywhere near your lens. Otherwise, you may get rid of the dust but end up with smear marks that'll need further cleaning. If you have an old, coated filter test the brush on it first.

08-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tom1803 Quote
One warning regarding the use of artist's brush.

These brushes usually contain some glue and oil residue from the factory, even when brand new. Make sure to wash and clean the brush THOROUGHLY before getting it anywhere near your lens. Otherwise, you may get rid of the dust but end up with smear marks that'll need further cleaning. If you have an old, coated filter test the brush on it first.
Good point. I should get the lens pen and use its retractable brush.
Kudos to altopiet for his Mythbusters-like approach. I am not allowed to try it at home....

Seb
08-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
I am not allowed to try it at home....
Come on, who's the boss...!
08-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote