Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, here, this has been brought up a few times, the Samyang 85mm, is it hard to manually focus that one? One problem I have been having with this Ricoh lense, is that whenever I try to focus, I go back and fourth at least a dozen times before the camera will beep and tell me the subject is in focus. Would I have the same problem with the Samyang lense? Also, how is the bokeh with that one?

08-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Well, here, this has been brought up a few times, the Samyang 85mm, is it hard to manually focus that one? One problem I have been having with this Ricoh lense, is that whenever I try to focus, I go back and fourth at least a dozen times before the camera will beep and tell me the subject is in focus. Would I have the same problem with the Samyang lense? Also, how is the bokeh with that one?
Nice long throw, smooth, excellent bokeh. Best of all, it's inexpensive too.
08-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Is it quick/easy to focus or for the camera to beep and tell you it is in focus? I ask this, because my eyesight isn't the greatest, and a little assistance from the camera helps a lot.
08-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Ive read some reports that some Samyang 85mm lenses have a very stiff focus ring. But its a very fast lens (high focal length, low f-number means shallow DoF), so manual focusing should be pretty simple.
You can also use CiF (catch in focus, focus trapping).
Or use live view with the digital zoom, and if your camera has the feature - focus peaking. I often use live view for critical focus, especially with fast primes. Provided I have enough time.
But still, AF is AF. For portraits you might not need it as much, if your model poses for you, but its a feature I have learned to like in my lenses. Its convenient in many situations.

08-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Grab a Pentax F 50 f/1.7. It's able to be had for 200 or less. It's sharp, has really creamy bokeh too, and is autofocus. In fact, the only issue I can think of with it is that it's kind of loud autofocusing.
What he said!