Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To sell or not to sell...

... that is the question. I am really really impressed with the new Pentax DA* lenses, and am seriously looking forward to buying whatever else comes out. But at the same regard I also like my Tamrons, mainly the 28-75mm, but I havent put it on my camera since I got the new kit. Has anyone who has replaced their Tamron 28-75mm for the new Pentax regretted doing so? Should I sell my Tamrons to fund more DA*'s/Limited?

I know I said I would never part with them, and I used the having two bodies as an excuse, but I havent used the K110D in I cant remember when... If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

03-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If it was me, i would sell it.

What's the point of having saving gathering dust that you won't use?

that's my way of thinking anyway.
03-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I would sell. If I'm not using something, it goes. I'm not into collecting, I'm into using.

I've never found anything "special" about any Tamron, Sigma, or Tokina stuff. Just commodity tools. My 77mm ltd however is sublime. That is a lens that I likely wouldn't sell even if I wasn't using it that often.

I'm trying to only buy the stuff I really want and will use rather than settling for "good enough." I know I should just buy a 100mm Pentax macro but the build quality bugs me. I likely will either look to Zeiss or Voigtlander for a longer macro. The 35mm ltd though will be in my bag as soon as my local shop has it.

Buy the best and only buy once. A hard learned lesson that I still struggle with.
03-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
... that is the question. I am really really impressed with the new Pentax DA* lenses, and am seriously looking forward to buying whatever else comes out. But at the same regard I also like my Tamrons, mainly the 28-75mm, but I havent put it on my camera since I got the new kit. ....

Good thread - I was considering getting tha Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for my wife to use on her newly 'inherited' K100D Super... and maybe for me to play around with too

Buddha, why would you say the main reason is that you never use it now - is it because you really like the wide angle of the 16-50? Is the IQ better...? 16-50 is sharper, more convenient, etc...? Or are you using the 50-135 more?

I guess I'm wondering if I get the Tammy, will it ever get used...

03-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I had seen this question asked so many times. First there is praise for this zoom, following by a question to sell this fantastic zoom.

I would personally keep it though. Sometimes this zoom can be a backup for something potentially hazardous to camera gear - you got a choice of this zoom and something more expensive.

Selling this zoom is not going to get much cash back anyway. Since I presume that you got a good copy for this zoom, keep it
03-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Actually I'm in the sell camp.
If you're not using it, sell it while it's current. There will always be a newer lens down the road and when it does appear, the value of your present lens will fall further.
03-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Igilligan

Mr Jones,
Well I just got my 28-75 tamron and I absolutely love it. But I can understand how If you have both DA's that it would be a bit redundant. But I think like roentarre, If you were going somewhere iffy or someplace you would not want to take those expensive lenses, then the tamron is still a great lens. But oh I understand the call of the limiteds

I would dump the K110 body before I sold the 28-75, the body will lose value a lot faster than the lens will IMO. but that is me and I don't have those fancy new DA's.
Which of the DA''s do you find on your camera most often? For me I think it would be the
50-135 Just wondering?

And you got a good copy of the 16-50. That is great to hear.

Last edited by Igilligan; 03-21-2008 at 08:43 PM.
03-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I find myself using the 50-135mm a lot more than I thought i would. I am an up close shooter by nature so I guess that explaines it. I really need to hunker down and use the 16-50 for a solid week to get better at composing the wide angle. I know I will be using the heck out of it while on vacation though, but the 50-135 is more my daily style.

03-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
... that is the question. I am really really impressed with the new Pentax DA* lenses, and am seriously looking forward to buying whatever else comes out. But at the same regard I also like my Tamrons, mainly the 28-75mm, but I havent put it on my camera since I got the new kit. Has anyone who has replaced their Tamron 28-75mm for the new Pentax regretted doing so? Should I sell my Tamrons to fund more DA*'s/Limited?

I know I said I would never part with them, and I used the having two bodies as an excuse, but I havent used the K110D in I cant remember when... If you were in my shoes, what would you do?
Buddha, I have been in your shoes, figuratively, and kept the Tamron. For weddings/event work, i shoot with the 50-135mm on one k10d and the 16-50mm on another K10d. I have kept the Tamron for two reasons. If/when the 16-50 needs service the Tamron can substitute (though not as wide). Also on occasion, I use the Tamron when I only want to carry one body and want a little more reach but not the ultra wide of the 16-50mm.
Regards,
Erl
03-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buddha, if there isn't a place where you will use the Tamron, I'd sell it. It is a popular lens, and you should have no problem getting rid of it. On the other hand if you can see a use for it in the near future, I'd keep it. I have a copy and I like and use mine a lot. But then again I don't have the new DA's.

NaCl(it all comes down to how much "sellers remorse" you will have)H2O
03-24-2008, 04:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This is difficult question ... I'd love to own this lens on the reviews it keeps getting.

Although your other lenses do make this reduundant .... I am with Roentarre in regards to the fact it's a good backup lens for those situations you don't want to take the more expensive lenses out and about.
03-24-2008, 04:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I would personally keep it though. Sometimes this zoom can be a backup for something potentially hazardous to camera gear - you got a choice of this zoom and something more expensive.
It is for precisely this reason that I keep my K100D, and the two DA kit zooms (in Samsung livery). Also because they are all great performers, and light and compact as well.

The SA 18-55 is now also filling in for my DA*16-50 while it is away with the knackers. As my Sigma 14 EX is also away for the same reason, I would have been left without a wide angle over the Easter break but for the 18-55.
03-24-2008, 06:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote

I've never found anything "special" about any Tamron, Sigma, or Tokina stuff. Just commodity tools.

Buy the best and only buy once. A hard learned lesson that I still struggle with.
Buddah,

If there is an absolute reason to refurbish the bank account then selling might be acceptable. But, sometimes a backup lens is not a bad idea, especially if it has a functional zoom range as this does.

As to the comments above by Nostatic;
all I can say as that this is a poor generalization. While I make my living with Pentax and Pentax lenses, and have for 30 years, I also keep an open mind to ALL lenses that will perform at a professional level. With over thirty Pentax lenses currently in use, I also use 3 Sigma EX DG's that are on par with the best that Pentax has to offer. I won't speak for all manufacturer's, but you buy what produces results and puts money in the coffer and if that requires buying a 3rd party high end lens... then you need to keep an open mind.

Stephen
03-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote

As to the comments above by Nostatic;
all I can say as that this is a poor generalization. While I make my living with Pentax and Pentax lenses, and have for 30 years, I also keep an open mind to ALL lenses that will perform at a professional level. With over thirty Pentax lenses currently in use, I also use 3 Sigma EX DG's that are on par with the best that Pentax has to offer. I won't speak for all manufacturer's, but you buy what produces results and puts money in the coffer and if that requires buying a 3rd party high end lens... then you need to keep an open mind.

Stephen
If you have over 30 Pentax lenses and also 3 Sigmas, not sure that my generalization is that poor. It would appear that in general the Pentax glass is preferable to the Sigma glass, hence over 90% of your lenses being Pentax.

I'll look at anything, but there certainly are differences in the quality of lenses from *all* manufacturers. And even the "good" lenses from Pentax often aren't (witness the 16-50* debacles). I'm just saying that in my admittedly limited experience, I haven't seen any Sigma/Tamron/Tokina lenses that made my heart sing like an FA ltd. I did use a Tokina 12-24 with my Nikon and it was a fine lens. Just wasn't particularly "special." Just a commodity tool.

Then again I likely won't ever have 30 lenses. Too many choices

Last edited by nostatic; 03-24-2008 at 12:18 PM.
03-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
If you have over 30 Pentax lenses and also 3 Sigmas, not sure that my generalization is that poor. It would appear that in general the Pentax glass is preferable to the Sigma glass, hence over 90% of your lenses being Pentax.

I'll look at anything, but there certainly are differences in the quality of lenses from *all* manufacturers. And even the "good" lenses from Pentax often aren't (witness the 16-50* debacles). I'm just saying that in my admittedly limited experience, I haven't seen any Sigma/Tamron/Tokina lenses that made my heart sing like an FA ltd. I did use a Tokina 12-24 with my Nikon and it was a fine lens. Just wasn't particularly "special." Just a commodity tool.

Then again I likely won't ever have 30 lenses. Too many choices
I only own that many lenses now because I have made a living with gear for 30 years and used that time to buy the best of what Pentax made during that time . There are many Pentax consumer and middle grade lenses that I wouldn't touch during those times either, but their upper end lenses are sensational. Although I have to admit that nearly all K lenses and A lenses were phenomenally made across their respective spectrums and I still find use for them in the digital medium. My need to turn to Sigma was that as I transitioned to digital Pentax simply had nothing to offer beyond the limiteds. This required investigating 3rd party lenses. So far, my Sigma EX DG purchase's (180 Macro, 70-200 f2.8 and 100-300 f4) have lead to sensational purchases equal to some of the best Pentax glass I have ever bought. Yes, it might be great to have new version of Pentax glass in these focal lengths... but they are not available and these Sigma's certainly produce equally professional results.

There are very few lenses made by any maufacturer, including C&N that will stand up to the build and image quality of the FA LTD's.

The Pentax 12-24 (the same (?) lens as the Tokina) is quite a wonderful lens with the only significant shortcoming being CA's.

Cheers,

Stephen