Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax DA* 16-50 = I plunged in!

So I decided to recently take the plunge and pick up a DA* 16-50!!

A few months ago, when they were first out, I tried this lens out and recall that I was not very impressed with the back-focusing and blurriness issues I had with the 2-3 separate copies that I tested. However, I went to test a copy recently and found it to be actually very good! I've been playing with it ever since, trying to pick out some problems and see if this lens is worth keeping.

as I'm running the DA*16-50 on my K100D (non-super), it's running off the camera screw drive (sure wish I had HSM... it's sooooo nice...). I haven't had any backfocus issues, and focusing tends to be pretty good (on par with my DA 40 Limited lens or close to it). And most of the pictures turn out pretty okay.

So here's my debate. I really like this lens, but I'm wondering if maybe the DA21 and DA70 Ltd's would be a better buy than this DA*16-50 (picture quality-wise)... which also leads me to ask whether I have a good copy of this lens? The pictures I've taken with this lens have been great, but not always excellent (although some have been).

Pros about the DA*16-50:
-Big massive lens = you MUST be a professional (hah j/k)
-F2.8 option
-Weather-sealed (not that important to me as my K100D is not weather sealed)
-HSM (although I can't use it now. if I upgrade my camera body sometime in the future, though)
-Color rendition is pretty fantastic.
-Picture quality, when its bang on, is superb! Rivals my primes.
-It has a 16-50 zoom range, which is the range I use 85% of the time.

Cons about the DA*16-50:
-Noticeable color fringing at F2.8 in some cases (overblown whites has blue borders?)
-The lens occasionally misses the focus every now and then.
-Quite soft at F2.8.

Some pics from my other thread:

03-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Good choice on spending money on a nice lens instead of a new body, as good lenses stick around forever (my dad still has a screw mount 1.4 I use with an adapter for nostalgia).
03-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DxO for the perfect DA* 16-50.

Hi. Spend another $100 on DxO Standard. The DA* 16-50 module is on line and it works! All of a sudden my CA, PF, distortion and vignetting magically disappear, along with some of the softness. You can download a trial if you wish before coughing up the loot.

Shoot a PEF image of something the lens shows as really bad. Run it through DxO (no change to the original image) and look at the difference. It is absolutely phenominal. There is a single test shot on my Flickr site; feel free to look, that's why it is there.
03-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmm... DxO doesn't seem ilke a bad idea. You're right. I see the difference in your images. Main issues with this lens (Compared to a comparable prime) is the chromatic abberation at F2.8 and the distortion at 16mm. Can DxO process multiple files at one time? (instead of processing one image at a time?)

QuoteQuote:
Good choice on spending money on a nice lens instead of a new body, as good lenses stick around forever (my dad still has a screw mount 1.4 I use with an adapter for nostalgia).
Yeah, I thought about getting a K20D... but I figured a lens would make a bigger difference. This being a DA* that doesn't backfocus... well, that's huge hehe

03-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
hmm... DxO doesn't seem ilke a bad idea. You're right. I see the difference in your images. Main issues with this lens (Compared to a comparable prime) is the chromatic abberation at F2.8 and the distortion at 16mm. Can DxO process multiple files at one time? (instead of processing one image at a time?)
Yes. I justed processed a group of images I took today with the 50-135. I am extremely disappointed with DxO, though. It didn't correct the 1/20 sec image I took with the SR turned off.