Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I'd be willing to bet that the only way they'll produce more XS lenses is if they continue the K-01 line (with a K-02) or equivalent mirrorless with a K mount.
They could also implement mirror-lockup on the high-end K-mount DSLRs
in such a way that these cameras would accept XS lenses protruding into the body,
like the Heliar 12mm I mentioned earlier,
and allow a live view function to obviate the need for a supplementary OVF.

08-07-2013, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter

When Pentax launched the K-01 they showed a prototype (photo here, I believe) for another XS lens, one which, unlike the 40 XS, did intrude into the "mirror box". It had no markings, but I'd guess it was something like a XS'ed DA 21. This lens has never been released...
08-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The next version of K-01 please.
08-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
When Pentax launched the K-01 they showed a prototype (photo here, I believe) for another XS lens, one which, unlike the 40 XS, did intrude into the "mirror box". It had no markings, but I'd guess it was something like a XS'ed DA 21. This lens has never been released...
I doubt that lens would be part of the XS series because it has a depth of field scale. What I like about the XS is it's so compact, there isn't room for that stuff.

I would love to see more XS lenses, but I doubt a 24-105 would be very compact. A 20-35 XS would be great though. I use my 40 XS on my film cameras and would pick something like that up quickly.

08-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I doubt that lens would be part of the XS series because it has a depth of field scale. What I like about the XS is it's so compact, there isn't room for that stuff.

I would love to see more XS lenses, but I doubt a 24-105 would be very compact. A 20-35 XS would be great though. I use my 40 XS on my film cameras and would pick something like that up quickly.
If XS means Extra Small, than it would be an extra smalled version of the 21 or whatever it is. It was their proof of concept lens for the K-01 no doubt before they decided that XS not only meant extra small, but also DA-L'ed versions of Ltd's.
08-08-2013, 06:54 AM   #21
JPT
Pentaxian

I never found the idea of the XS lenses very attractive. The whole point of me getting the K-01 was that I could use my DSLR lenses on it, and conversely I could also use any lenses I bought for the K-01 on a DSLR in future. If they made lenses which could never be used on my K20D or a future DSLR, I would have avoided them.

I don't know much about optical design, but I suspect the size of the elements would have had to be very small and therefore the lenses slow. There would also be the ergonomic challenge of fitting a very small zoom ring and focus ring on the tiny protruding part of the lens. The whole idea sounds very fiddly and compromised to me.
08-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can imagine a zoom being the thickness of the fa50mm 1.4 or maybe even the canon 40mm 2.8
08-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Would be great if they could work up a K-mount XS version of the Ricoh GR 18mm lens.

08-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Would be great if they could work up a K-mount XS version of the Ricoh GR 18mm lens.
Yes!