Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Questions about a SMC Pentax FA 250-600mm f5.6 ED[IF] lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, I recently acquired this rare lens in a pristine condition and I'd have a couple of questions for the knowledgeable users here ... there is probably in PF the higher concentration of people that may have/used/know about this lens than anywhere else on earth that can answer my questions:

There was no operation manual included with the lens...

1- Does anyone have a PDF copy of that operation / user's manual ?
I did several searches on google and could not find anything ....

On the lens, there is a kind of switch near the focal ring

2- What is the purpose of that "switch/button" with options P -- A --> AS ?

Also, I'd like to know
3- what would be the best TC for this lens... After my readings, I conclude that the Pentax Rear Converter-A 1.4X-L would be the best .... anyone can confirm that ?

Thanks in advance !

08-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The switch does nothing on digital bodies, however on PZ-series film cameras it enables additional power-zoom related features.

The 1.4x teleconverter is probably the best one out there, if you even need one to begin with at 600mm!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The switch does nothing on digital bodies, however on PZ-series film cameras it enables additional power-zoom related features.

The 1.4x teleconverter is probably the best one out there, if you even need one to begin with at 600mm!
Doesn't the Powerzoom work on the K-5 series? At least the zoom?
08-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #4

The powerzoom should work with some digital bodies (K10D...?), but those additional modes not.

08-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What is the "Powerzoom" ?
Do you mean that it zooms with a kind of internal motor ? if so, yes it is working on my K-5
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
What is the "Powerzoom" ?
Do you mean that it zooms with a kind of internal motor ? if so, yes it is working on my K-5
Yep, that's it. But film bodies (maybe some digital ones?) also supported other functions; IIRC the lens could hold focus while zooming and other stuff.
Pentax Lens Power Zoom
08-08-2013, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a manual that somewhat vaguely explains the Power Zoom modes. Page 17. FA* Manual

08-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G_Money Quote
Here's a manual that somewhat vaguely explains the Power Zoom modes. Page 17. FA* Manual
Wow ! Great thanks !

Found the info there:

Auto zoom functions

The FA Zoom lens with power contacts combined with KAF2-mount cameras can use following functions.
Please refer to your camera's operating manual for more details.

1. Zoom clip mode to pre-set or re-call the focal length
2. Image size tracking mode to maintain the image size (magnification value) regardless of the distance to the subject.
3. Zoom effect mode to zoom automatically during an exposure.

Auto zoom switch and Zoom set button

1. P (Power zoom), PZ in some lenses
Set to this position in power zooming
2. A (Auto zoom), AZ in some lenses
Set to this position for Auto zoom
3. AS (Auto zoom set), MODE in some lenses
Set this position to select the type of Auto zoom function.

BTW, I have another question about the filters: There is a "neutral" filter I the drop-in slot. Do I really need to keep it there ? Can I remove it and leave this empty ?

I Also read that there was a polarizing filter that was made to fit in this drop-in slot... do anybody knows where I could find such CPL compatible filter ?

Thanks again for any input !
08-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow ! Great thanks !
BTW, I have another question about the filters: There is a "neutral" filter I the drop-in slot. Do I really need to keep it there ? Can I remove it and leave this empty ?

I Also read that there was a polarizing filter that was made to fit in this drop-in slot... do anybody knows where I could find such CPL compatible filter ?
Leave it there, it's part of the optical formula. There was a thread I can't find now, perhaps by user imtheguy, about a lens, perhaps an A*400mm, with sharpness issues. I believe he was using it without the internal filter and when one was installed there was a noticeable improvement.

Here's Clinton's link about the accessories. Accessories
08-09-2013, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again Mr. Money for the link

I found the info about CPL there:
** The rear FA* CPL for the FA* 300/2.8, FA* 600/4 and FA* 250/600/5.6:

Amazon.co.jpF PENTAX ‰~•ÎŒõƒtƒBƒ‹ƒ^[ FA~ (ƒP[ƒX•t) 35184: ‰Æ“dEƒJƒƒ‰

At the time of this writing (2011.07), they are still in stock.

The price shown is :
30,635.00 JPY =329.009 CAD

but wow ! That's pretty expensive for a filter !

And all the site is in Japanese characters... and I can't login with my regular amazon credentials...

I'll pass on this one, but will check fleabay or here for a better opportunity...
08-09-2013, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
User manual for the FA*250-600 and some other lenses is available here: http://download.heime.org/Pentax%20FA%20Telephoto%20Lens%20Manual.pdf
08-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
User manual for the FA*250-600 and some other lenses is available here: http://download.heime.org/Pentax%20FA%20Telephoto%20Lens%20Manual.pdf
Wow great !
thanks !
08-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but wow ! That's pretty expensive for a filter !
Yes, but it's not just the filter. It's also the rotating mechanism fitted to a new holder that replaces the existing holder. I think the Amazon image is incorrect. Here's the forum's image.
04-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was wondering if there is someone in Japan that can help me get this CPL filter... I can't do anything from here to log in, make sure it's the right product, etc...

thanks
11-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Since that time, I searched for a CPL, and couldn't find anything... so if anybody has a clue where I can find one, let me know ! Thanks