Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Why oh why is the 15mm Limited lens not fully weather sealed?

Hi!

I guess it's an open secret that Pentax offers a wide range of outstanding lenses (prime lenses as well as zoom lenses).

Since weather sealing was an extremely important factor to me, I decided recently to purchase a new K 5 II + the 18-135mm WR lens.

Any time soon, I might be interested to go for the 15mm Limited prime lens which IMO is not only a well built but also a very sharp and
cute wide-angle lens.

The problem is, it's NOT fully weather sealed so it won't really consort with my K 5 II.

Would appreciate to hear your comments.

08-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Given that ALL limited lenses are not weather sealed for reasons unknown (although many have guessed at possible reasons for this), the DA15 is just another brick in the wall. The honest truth is that if you don't have a weather sealed system, you can easily use one of a number of plastic bags/lens coverings just a freakin' umbrella to achieve wetness protection. I would love it if any of the limited lenses were WR but, the lack of it has never held me back. When you get the DA15limited, you will be so amazed that this apparent 'limitation' will be quickly forgotten.
08-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One factor that makes the Limited series lenses stand out is their small size. Weather sealing adds size. Unfortunately there is no weather-sealed Pentax lens as wide as 15mm, although the DA* 16-50 gets you close.
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
One factor that makes the Limited series lenses stand out is their small size. Weather sealing adds size. Unfortunately there is no weather-sealed Pentax lens as wide as 15mm, although the DA* 16-50 gets you close.
I think considering the 100mm macro is WR (current version of course) and follows the design of the limiteds that it is pretty clear it doesn't take much in terms of size to add WR to a lens. I think the WR 100mm is actually more compact in overall dimensions than its predecessor.

08-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Diego Quote
Why oh why is the 15mm Limited lens not fully weather sealed?
Well, in the case you mount a Weather Sealed lens on your camera, you are surely not going to be changing lenses. So most primes wonīt be very useful in challenging conditions. Especially a 15mm lens. Perhaps a normal lens (24 to 40mm) would be better suited.. I guess this is why weather sealing is more prone to be found on zoom lenses.
That said, I wouldnīt mind a rubber gasket on the lens mount to at least fully seal the body. More so given the current DSLR line offers WR in all but 1 model.
08-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Well, in the case you mount a Weather Sealed lens on your camera, you are surely not going to be changing lenses. So most primes wonīt be very useful in challenging conditions. Especially a 15mm lens. Perhaps a normal lens (24 to 40mm) would be better suited.. I guess this is why weather sealing is more prone to be found on zoom lenses.
That said, I wouldnīt mind a rubber gasket on the lens mount to at least fully seal the body. More so given the current DSLR line offers WR in all but 1 model.
I use either my 55mm or 300mm depending on what I walk out to do in the rain, no problem.
08-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I use either my 55mm or 300mm depending on what I walk out to do in the rain, no problem.
Rain isnīt a big problem even for non WR lenses / cameras. Iīve shot in the rain with film cameras without issues before and my friend shoots a canon T2i and kit lens without any problem. (unless itīs raining very much of course but that doesnīt last very much so you can just take cover and continue when it finishes).
Dust, mud, wet, dirty hands or gloves are more dangerous.

08-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I think considering the 100mm macro is WR (current version of course) and follows the design of the limiteds that it is pretty clear it doesn't take much in terms of size to add WR to a lens. I think the WR 100mm is actually more compact in overall dimensions than its predecessor.
Ah, point taken. Well then, I have no idea why the Limiteds aren't weather sealed!
08-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi guys,

I just want to thank you all for your helpful comments.

To me it is and will always be a mystery why Pentax' handy Limiteds are not weather sealed.

Well, if that's the way it is, we can't do anything.....
08-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It would probably add at least $100 to the retail price due to increased manufacturing and quality control costs, thay probably feel that it would too expensive.
08-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Given that ALL limited lenses are not weather sealed for reasons unknown (although many have guessed at possible reasons for this), the DA15 is just another brick in the wall. The honest truth is that if you don't have a weather sealed system, you can easily use one of a number of plastic bags/lens coverings just a freakin' umbrella to achieve wetness protection. I would love it if any of the limited lenses were WR but, the lack of it has never held me back. When you get the DA15limited, you will be so amazed that this apparent 'limitation' will be quickly forgotten.
Can't add much. I'll just say that none of my lenses are of the weather sealed variety and I will go anywhere in nearly any weather with them. My DA 15 was my main go to lens on last weeks fishing trip off shore on Cape Cod. After a stunning sunrise, the clouds moved in with a steady light rain soon after. A typical day with the camera for me. It's easy enough to keep everything protected. I would be more concerned about weather sealing if I lived in a dry, dusty area like the Southwest.