Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

Help me identify this lens/mount! JCPenney 135mm f/2.8

I picked up this lens at an antique shop today for $10. It is a JCPenney 135mm f/2.8. I have just recently began researching these lenses to adapt to my Canon 5d mk II and am in need of some help to identify this lens and mount. I already have an M42 adapter, so I know that it is not an M42 mount. Is this a K mount? If so, what distinguishes it as a K mount, and what adapter should I use for K to EOS?

The lens reads: 1: 2.8 f= 135mm JCPenney Auto Lens =55mm No. 814135 and says that it is made in japan.

I'm also curious if $10 was reasonable ( I figure $10 is always reasonable) and if this is a good lens that I should keep. They also had a JCPenney 28mm f/2.8 that I might pick up tomorrow for $10. Same mount.

Thank you for your help!

Attached Images

08-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Olympus OM.

Also, I'd say that that is a Cosina made lens.
08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Olympus OM.

Also, I'd say that that is a Cosina made lens.
Thanks elliot. Are you sure? I was told by a fella that he thought it was a Pentax K mount. How do they differ?
08-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Olympus has two levers that protrude from the mount, Pentax only has one. Pentax has a notch in the flat area for the lock pin, Olympus uses that little round pin.

They are close enough that with minimal modification they can be mounted on a Pentax, but since you're using Canon, just get the right adapter.

Oh, Contax/Yashica has a very similar mount to Olympus, but they have a notch in one of the bayonet tabs.

Last edited by elliott; 08-08-2013 at 07:48 PM.
08-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hmm alright. I'm new to all of these different mounts! I have an M42 adapter. If I get a Pentax K to EOS and an Olympus OM to EOS would I be pretty set or are there a wide variety of other mounts that I would have to adapt? And is $10 reasonable for this lens/ should I go back for the 28 2.8 for $10?
08-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I have a JCPenney 28mm f2.8 in K mount that I believe is Cosina made, I don't know if there are other manufacturers, but I never really liked it. Very soft wide open, contrast is poor and it is just all around unimpressive. I think $10 is reasonable for it, but the question is if it is worth buying, you could see $10 as a cheap gamble to see if that copy is better than mine.

The 135mm has potential of being good, I've seen some nice shots from some Sears and Porst that I believe were made by Cosina.

There are tons of mounts out there, so it is pretty much impossible to cover everything. Starting with K, OM and M42 should give you a lot of good stuff to choose from. You just have to learn the little differences between the mounts so you aren't buying something you can't use. There are many, like Minolta MD, that can't be adapted to Canon without an adapter with glass in it or giving up infinity focus, which isn't ideal.
08-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Solid. I think there was also a JCPenney 80-200 f/4.5 that I may look at. I'll order the K and OM adapters and bring them in with my camera when I get them. Then I'll know the mount and can just throw it on my camera to see if it seems good. Thanks for all the help elliot.