Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Stolen 50mm FA 2.8 Macro Lens Warning

Well the Detroit car theft situation hit me today while photographing the dilapidated industry buildings of Detroit . I was carjacked at gun point.

I had the presence of mind to grab my camera bag. But my favorite 50mm FA Macro lens was left on the passenger seat of my car. The car was recovered late today but no lens or, laptop, or i-Phone etc was left in my trusty 1997 Honda Civic.

Any ways if anyone see's this lens for sale it is an SMC Pentax-FA 1:2.8 50mm Macro it is mint and my favorite photographic friend of my camera bodies. The serial Number is 3008135. Really depressed about it.

08-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about this. Make sure you add the serial # to the serial database!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Adam, Thanks

I am pretty sure it is in the database. I really should put all of my lenses in the data base but time just eludes me. In after thought my camera bag contents were worth more than the car with the K-5, k-5II S,10-D, and the limited fa 21mm. The dumb MF's (excuse my expression) had no idea. So I am just counting my blessings But that 50mm was my favorite all time lens. They have no clue about what they have in their dirty hands.
08-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter

That is really too bad. I wish people could just learn to let everyone else be happy. Remember there are resources out there to help, what you went through was traumatic.

08-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That is really too bad. I wish people could just learn to let everyone else be happy. Remember there are resources out there to help, what you went through was traumatic.
I had to walk through some pretty bad areas to find a taxi for about an hour or so.

That was fun.Then three hours later the cops showed up to take the report. I have to give them kudos though they were looking for me but I did move on to a different area but they did find me.

Had I stayed in the area they would have found me in 15 minuets. Now way I was staying there.
08-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pento57mm Quote
Well the Detroit car theft situation hit me today while photographing the dilapidated industry buildings of Detroit . I was carjacked at gun point.

I had the presence of mind to grab my camera bag. But my favorite 50mm FA Macro lens was left on the passenger seat of my car. The car was recovered late today but no lens or, laptop, or i-Phone etc was left in my trusty 1997 Honda Civic.

Any ways if anyone see's this lens for sale it is an SMC Pentax-FA 1:2.8 50mm Macro it is mint and my favorite photographic friend of my camera bodies. The serial Number is 3008135. Really depressed about it.
Sorry to hear, sucks that your gear is gone, but lucky you're alive, and that's the most important thing.
08-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #7

Im sorry to hear a about your loss, its good that your still alive but it does suck to loose such a nice lens.
08-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that's one bad experience you had! Glad you are well, though.

Several years ago I had my car broken into (I had left for 15 min tops), the mofos took my belongings and my LX with an A50mm f1.4 lens. Unless they were photographer thieves, I'm sure that as soon as they figured it was some old "film junk" they threw it out somewhere, but unfortunately — to date — I never recovered it. To make things worse, I never recorded the SN of the camera, I only had the one of the lens because I once happened to take a picture of it (not that it has helped so far).

I haven't given up, though, so recently I tried out http://www.lenstag.com which supposedly was created for this very reason, as well as put a warning in the lens database here. You might want to try both! Hopefully you'll have more success than I have, nonetheless good luck!

08-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #9

It always sucks when low life losers behave like this. Hopefully they will sell the lens and use the money to buy meth that will kill them or at least further the process that evil drug exacts on scum like that.

I hope you get your lens back.

And your other stuff too.

Remember, everything we do in life comes back to us. Those turds already are living a miserable existence, and they just added another strike against their lot. Now if our society would just follow what they do in some other social circles, and when they catch someone stealing they cut off their hand.
08-09-2013, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just received an e-mail from Motor City Pawn. They have the lens, fingerprint and I.D. of the paw-nee. I have to go to the store and police and and file an affidavit of theft and file a report with proof that I own the lens???? DuH? I gave the police the serial number they found it then what? Talk about jumping through hoop's
08-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad your lens turned up, sorry that your car is still gone though. Hopefully your experience picking the lens up will go smoothly for you, I am sure you are still smarting from the BS robbery.
08-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #12

Just received an e-mail from Motor City Pawn. They have the lens, fingerprint and I.D. of the paw-nee.
Congratulations!

I have to go to the store and police and and file an affidavit of theft and file a report with proof that I own the lens???? DuH? I gave the police the serial number they found it then what? Talk about jumping through hoop's
It is tough being honest, isn't it?
08-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, here is the depressing news on my end. A perfectly maintained and well functioning Honda Civic was found torched. It was mine. Damm I wanted to see if I could get 300k out of it.

My laptop, I-phone and another FA 50 1.7mm i did not even know was in the trunk were recovered. But the best part is from what the detectives told me they recovered so many items from the theifs home they have to begin to sort it all out.

The paper work that has to be filled out to get my stuff back make's me look like I am a criminal and I have to prove ownership. What a mess.

My best advice is "DOCUMENT EVERY THING YOU OWN" or you may never recover them if they are stolen.