Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Juventino Quote
I played with the kit lens at 24 and I found this focal lens interesting. Moreover, it is the standard on a DSLR. I would like to use on my ME Super (mainly) as well as on my K-r, hence it must be FF-compatible and must have an aperture ring (excluding the Macro limited for these reasons).
I tried the kit lens @24 to have a 35mm equivalent that I would use on film and this lens on DSLR would be equivalent to a standard hence I may get two lenses in one
Umm.., Wellll.., Errr.., Hmm.., nope I'm still not sure what you mean. I'm out.

08-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidlapper Quote
Umm.., Wellll.., Errr.., Hmm.., nope I'm still not sure what you mean. I'm out.
At the moment I don't have the 35mm so I tried the kit lens at 24mm so as to value this focal length on the DSLR because of the crop factor. I felt comfortable and I want a 35mm for using it on film camera (thus need for FF + aperture ring). Moreover if I put a 35mm on the DLSR I have the field of view of a 50mm again because of crop factor.
08-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I want a 35mm for using it on film camera (thus need for FF + aperture ring). Moreover if I put a 35mm on the DLSR I have the field of view of a 50mm again because of crop factor.
This explains everything. Agree 35mm is a nice focal length. I only have one that fully fits your requirements, Super Tak 35/3.5 a nice lens relatively cheap. Lots of choices in that range as stated. Me, I don't have any aperture ring requirements so DA35 Ltd is my chosen poison, the FA31 Ltd could meet your needs, but is also pricey.
08-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidlapper Quote
This explains everything. Agree 35mm is a nice focal length. I only have one that fully fits your requirements, Super Tak 35/3.5 a nice lens relatively cheap. Lots of choices in that range as stated. Me, I don't have any aperture ring requirements so DA35 Ltd is my chosen poison, the FA31 Ltd could meet your needs, but is also pricey.
How do you compare the DA35 Ltd with the Super Tak 35/3.5 on the optical point of view? Sharpness? Color rendition? Thanks for the opinion.

08-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
Banned

FA35. If this is your preferred FL, it would pay to save up for a stellar lens. The FA35 is that lens. It's so close to the FA31 that if there was an actual blind test done (there is a test on this forum between the two that wasn't blind and frequently is the subject of jokes throughout other photo gear forums and was never updated, as requested, into a blind comparo), no one would be able to tell. At best, they are alternates.

Check out my blog. Most of my pics are done with the FA35, aside from the wideangle. Everything from city, street, buildings, etc. It's a stellar lens and a great FL on APS-c. Concert duty with it is phenomenal.
08-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

How do you compare the DA35 Ltd with the Super Tak 35/3.5 on the optical point of view?
These two are from a comparison I did awhile back. Because the DA could close focus I framed it as I wanted it. I had to crop the Super Tak but didn't here as it would reduce the IQ a little. No Post processing on any of these except to convert to JPG from RAW. They are both excellent lenses in my view.
Super Tak 35/3.5

DA35/2.8 Ltd Macro

Super Tak 35/3.5

DA35 Ltd

Last edited by Schmidlapper; 08-10-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added quote
08-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #22
Pentaxian

there are plenty of alternatives to the FA31mm f/1.8 - but there isn't anything that is quite like it:

08-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
there are plenty of alternatives to the FA31mm f/1.8 - but there isn't anything that is quite like it:

Optically, it would be the FA35, even at a slight difference in FL and slightly smaller aperture. That test on this forum was never revised and done blind and I can't imagine that no one else has the both of them to step up to the plate and do it. There are discussions elsewhere on the web about the fanboyism present in that thread because the differences are so minor, for what was displayed, that they could be alternates. Neither are better or worse than the other, nor is there enough to tell which is which, including bokeh character.

And for the record, which is brought up often, it's not a matter of not being able to afford and FA31, as in Germany, the FA35 is now topping 1,000 Euros or bettering the FA31's pricing. There are cheaper alternatives, but used, they are running about 600-700EUR.

If AF is no concern, there's the Zeiss 35 F2. It is truly superb and, at least in Germany, cheaper than the FA31.

If form factor isn't an issue, then, without question, we're looking at the new Sigma 35 1.4.

One can say "there is no lens quite like [x]", but, in reality, the FA31 is extremely close to the FA35, but many, many lenses have their own characteristics, be it from Canon (I just read this last night about their 85 1.2L, in fact), Nikon, a host of Russian lenses I constantly read about, Zeiss, LEICA is the big one, and so on. I'd wager to say, from the examples I've seen thus far, the Sigma 35 is the one that doesn't have "anything quite like it", when optical properties are the priority. The Zeiss 35 is likely the second (and often discounted from such discussions in order to pad the FA31's standing).

Here's the Zeiss (on ebay for 799, or best offer, brand new, while the FA31 is about 400-500 Euros more):

Last edited by snake; 08-11-2013 at 02:33 AM.
08-11-2013, 03:01 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
there's the Zeiss 35 F2. It is truly superb and, at least in Germany, cheaper than the FA31.
but also discontinued in the Pentax K mount, the only real full AF competitor to the FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH is the Sigma 35mm f/1.4.

Pentax K5IIs - Pentax SMC-FA 31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-11-2013 at 03:08 AM.
08-11-2013, 03:07 AM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
but also discontinued in the Pentax K mount, the only real full AF competitor to the FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH is the Sigma 35mm f/1.4.

Pentax K5IIs - Pentax SMC-FA 31mm f/1.87 ASPH Limited
It's discontinued (I relayed this direct to the forums regarding personal contact with Zeiss about it). It's not that it's discontinued in the sense it's no longer available. It's available new, relatively plentiful (for Zeiss). Zeiss makes production runs, they ran through production for these variants and that's it. They have no further plans for ZK mounts, BUT the lens is still available, from dealers, as new. It's not even considered "NOS". It's simply "available".

So I'd like to clarify that portion. Saying "discontinued" is often interpreted as "no longer available". Zeiss is simply continuing to sell what they produced.
08-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
dms
Site Supporter

For the price I suggest you just get a super takumar or smc takumar 35mm f3.5--it's the same lens as the K 35 f3.5--and likely the non smc is in fact smc (I understand the 35mm f3.5 were multicoated w/o it being advertized as such). You will be out $40-$60--and if you don't have a (pentax) screw mount adapter you will pay another $30~50. And it is really an exceptional feeling using the older screw mount lens. If you decide you want a FA35mm or whatever the eperiment will have potentially saved you money and will be a rewarding path. BTW I have the 35mm f2 (K) and it's a nice lens but unless you need the speed it's not great (IMO). Actually on digital 28mm super tak is my most used lens on digital, and on film 35mm has been my standard film lens--both in Nikons and Pentax(es)
08-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #27
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The Samyang is very sharp. Focus is very smooth. Price is right for a 1.4 lens. However it's very large. 77mm filter and almost as long as a 50-135mm f2.8. If you don't mind the size, it's a great buy.
08-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #28
Banned

Out of my picks, dependent on the country and budget, it would be these:

FA35 (used can be had for steals, but keep looking around, if in Europe, don't pay more than 385 EUR used)
Zeiss ZK 35 F2 (if you don't mind MF)..What more can be said? It's a Zeiss and at the prices of some of the used MF Pentax lenses, I find it a better value.
Sigma 35 1.4 (brand new only, budget could be a concern here, but the performance makes this the likely investment lens, plus mount can be changed when/if you change systems)

Between these, it's very tough. I have some friends on the Sigma 35 and it's really "all that". Likewise, the FA35 is impressively sharp at F2, even, with great color rendering and contrast.

So I presented this as they are investments. With the FA35, you won't lose your investment (I can sell mine now for about 35% more than I paid). You will lose little with Zeiss. Sigma, you'll lose, but the tradeoff is that it's a new lens and it performs possibly better than most 35s ever made. The little qualities of this lens, coupled with its sharpness, are amazing.
08-12-2013, 03:19 AM   #29

Original Poster
I thank you all for your pictures and advices. Unfortunately, I can't consider the Sigma because of the lack of aperture ring.
  • FA 31: Stellar optics, stellar build quality, suitable on film and DSLR but out of the budget for the moment.
  • FA 35: Looking at snake's pictures it has an excellent picture quality and can be used on a DSLR. Moreover, there are the Samsung versions which are almost identical except their markings.
  • Zeiss 35: Zeiss, what can be added. Optical and build qualities with the German standards (I appreciate them). It has the lack of AF but on the film it is useless. It can be found but its production is "suspended".
  • Samyang 35: A valid alternative, can be found new and has the highest apperture among considered lenses.
  • SuperTak 35: Looking at Schmidlapper's pictures, it is comparable to the 35Ltd and its optical qualities have nothing to envy. Probably, several aspects of the lens have to be checked during the purchase. At the moment I don't have a screwmount converter: If I buy the lens and the adapter, it won't be that cheap but looking at other lenses it can reduce its cost.
To sum up, the problem consists in adding more or less features to the lens. I will observe the market to find what are the opportunities. Again I thank all of you for your nices pictures and opinions.
08-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #30
Banned

Zeiss 35: Zeiss, what can be added. Optical and build qualities with the German standards (I appreciate them). It has the lack of AF but on the film it is useless. It can be found but its production is "suspended".
Could you clarify why it wouldn't work on film?

Also, the "suspended" word is going too far. Most items are made in production runs, including Pentax lenses. They aren't made continuously. This is the case, aside from the fact that they haven't run out of stock, and it's slow-moving, so there won't be a production run anytime soon. Why should they keep producing these limited lenses before there is a demand? I got the official word from Zeiss about it, so it's rather frustrating that the message keeps getting altered by others. It's probably as "suspended" or "discontinued" as the FA35 is worldwide. There likely has not been a production run in several years for it and everything we're getting is trickling out as stock on hand (and probably rationing explains why the prices skyrocketed).