Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #1

Advices on 35mm lens

Hello everybody,
I am looking for advice on a 35mm lens. I played with the kit lens at 24 and I found this focal lens interesting. Moreover, it is the standard on a DSLR. I would like to use on my ME Super (mainly) as well as on my K-r, hence it must be FF-compatible and must have an aperture ring (excluding the Macro limited for these reasons). I shoot mainly street and landscape (people and their environment). I am not maniac about sharpness () but I like to make nice pictures on a technical point of view. In other words, I don't shoot for only sharpness but when I have a nice shoot which can be enlarged, I have the satisfaction to have made a good job (probably like all)
I found several possibilities but I have doubts:
  • K35/3.5: I read that one of the best lenses is the K35/3.5. It is highly rated, has the reputation to be sharp but I don't see often on the market (maybe the holders wants to keep them). I don't know if it is the same than the Takumar version (optical scheme, SMC coating...). This latter lens seems to be more available but has the M42 screw mount. On the film camera it would be less problematic since I don't change the lens often, unlike the DSLR.
  • A35/2.8: The A35/2.8 could be an alternative (the A mode is a plus for the DSLR) but it also seems to be rare and I did not find that much on its optical qualities.
  • FA35/2: This lens has all the qualities, has the reputation to be sharp and can use all the functions of a DSLR. Its problem is its price but I would have to save several months.
  • Samyang 34/1.4: This lens seem to have a good reputation and qualities. I don't know how it compares with the K35/3.5 and FA35/2.
  • FA31/1.8: Dream on boy...outstanding nut out of my budget
Maybe there are other alternatives. Any suggestions?
Thanks for reading and for your advices.

08-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

the 35mm macro is the best lens i haev ever owned. it's my desert island lens.
jsut sayin.

as for your more realistic choices, i have owned the old 3.5 35mm screw-mount and sold it to someone on this forum, it was really useless as a digital lens and honestly isn't worth owning.

that's about the only advice i can give, i do not have experience with any of the other lenses, but the preview of the samyang 1.4 on here looked good, that would be my choice based on speculation. 1.4!
08-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the K35/3.5 and I really like it. But you do not find it easily anywhere.

The M35/2.8 ( SMC Pentax-M 35mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database ) is cheaper and quite often on sale on ebay.

Seb.
08-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Morning,

Not too far from 35 and 31mm, but closer to the 24mm that you are interested in is a whole slew of 28mm lenses. There are the Pentax K, M and A's, along with the Tak's which would need a M42 to K adapter. Then there are the third party lenses at 28 and 24 too, that have a wide range of capabilities, looks along with pricing. The lens database has a large number of these listed - along with comments and opinions.Here are several that may be of interest to you - I just link a few lenses rated at 8+ that were for the most part less than $100 (sometimes more)...Here is a comparison of the Contax Zeiss 28/2.8 to the 31 Limited or a $300 lens to a $1,000 lens...You can go through the lens database and find lenses for as low as $5 - yes, you need to go find them - Craigslist and evilbay, but with some looking you can easily find 28's and some 24's going for anywhere from $10 up (most of the time with a camera attached). There are a whole lot of possibilities available.

08-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I too like the 24mm focal length on pentax dSLR, which is effectively around 35mm. I have both the k24/2.8 and the FA*24/2, and used the K24 quite often and like it, but once I got the FA*24 the K24 was relegated to the collection drawer. Both the K24 and FA*24 are available used pretty often, the K24 is relatively reasonable, while the FA*24 brings a premium. I will say the FA deserves the * designation and in my opinion is an exceptional lens with pleasing optical qualities.
08-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like the Takumar versions of the 35/3.5 are the same optical formula as the SMC Pentax. The Takumars are certainly easier to find than the K version. I have the K and love it but have never tried the Takumar equivalent, nonetheless am a bit surprised by dominikkolendo's comment. Maybe it is as you say a question of coatings -- the Takumar goes all the way back to Auto-Takumar. See if you can find the S-M-C Takumar, or the K.
08-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #7

I have the Super Takumar 35 f/3.5 and I love its rendering. Maybe dominikkolendo had a bad copy or something?

Both shot with K-5 and Super Tak 35 f/3.5.

08-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you have the patience and dedication to look on ebay (i would just save a search), you may be able to find a Mir-24 (35mm F2) for around $100. It is not super common but not that rare either. Very nice M42 lens. Just make sure to get the M42 mount and not the nikon mount (if it says H or N = Nikon)

Here is one that popped up in at our marketplace some time ago. Just posting it for the pics.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/81879-sale-sold-mir-24-35mm-f-2-a.html
08-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all.

dominikkolendo : WHy do you find the Takumar useless on digital? Because of its optical qualities and/or you don't feel confortable with the focal length?

bassek: Thanks you for this suggestion. It will read about it.

interested_observer: Wow your list is impressive. However I would like a 35 and not 28 or 24 because I want 35mm on film and 50mm on DSLR. Thus I keep the Cosina and the Zeiss under observation .

Schmidlapper : I am looking for a 35mm ... I don't want to start a LBA looking at 24 but if I want 35mm on DSLR...

baro-nite: Yes the lenses seem to have the same optical formula (maybe SMC coating in the last versions) but they have different ratings in the database : 8.87/39 versus 9.75/20. I think this is not a negligible difference

nono : Thanks for the picture. Did you try it on a film SLR?

oxidized : Thanks for the suggestion
08-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hold on a second!

QuoteOriginally posted by Juventino Quote
I am looking for advice on a 35mm lens. I played with the kit lens at 24 and I found this focal lens interesting.
I am a bit confused so, just in case, you do know that the kit lens FL markings are valid for any format, right? I mean, If you liked the field of view of the kit lens @ 24mm, then you should search for a 24mm prime! it will also give you the field of view as the kit lens at 24mm because... they are the same focal length!
Now, If you liked how 24mm looked on your DSLR and want an equivalent for your film camera, then you are right, it should be a 35mm.
08-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #11

nono : Thanks for the picture. Did you try it on a film SLR?
Nope, only on digital.
08-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

they have different ratings in the database
The lens reviews are helpful but only in a general way; there is no standard for reviewing and different people review different lenses, so it is not that helpful to compare ratings. As long as you don't mind dealing with an M42 lens I would keep the Takumar version in consideration.
08-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I am a bit confused so, just in case, you do know that the kit lens FL markings are valid for any format, right? I mean, If you liked the field of view of the kit lens @ 24mm, then you should search for a 24mm prime! it will also give you the field of view as the kit lens at 24mm because... they are the same focal length!
Now, If you liked how 24mm looked on your DSLR and want an equivalent for your film camera, then you are right, it should be a 35mm.
Yes I think I am right . I tried the kit lens @24 to have a 35mm equivalent that I would use on film and this lens on DSLR would be equivalent to a standard hence I may get two lenses in one
08-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
The lens reviews are helpful but only in a general way; there is no standard for reviewing and different people review different lenses, so it is not that helpful to compare ratings. As long as you don't mind dealing with an M42 lens I would keep the Takumar version in consideration.
You are true: Even if people had he same rating scale, there are still differences among the lenses themselves... I keep in mind this lens as they seem to be more affordable as they were produced for a longer period. If they deliver quality and pleasure, using M42 is a fair price to pay
08-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes I think I am right . I tried the kit lens @24 to have a 35mm equivalent that I would use on film and this lens on DSLR would be equivalent to a standard hence I may get two lenses in one
Ok, I didnŽt mean to offend or anything just a common problem thinking the kit lens or other "digital lens" markings already consider the crop factor.

Regarding the 35mm IŽd go for the M35/2.8 or M35/2 as they are both quite underappreciated. Any 35mm prime should be sharp enough and good wide open. The DA35/2.4 is very good value but youŽd have to get a body that can control aperture like an inexpensive MZ-50

Good luck!