Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED

Today I took delivery of a used DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED I found on the PF Marketplace. After unpacking and checking it over I grabbed the camera and headed out of the door to test it. Below are a few of the shots taken as I evaluated it's performance. All shots are untouched apart from conversion from RAW and re-sizing for the web (with the exception of the last one).

The first shot was just to see what it was like in terms of DoF and bokeh.

While in the garden I noticed a couple of butterflies and gave chase hoping to catch a shot or two. This Monarch looks like it's been in the wars as it has damage to both the leading and trailing edges of it's right wing.

This one was a vivid blue colour when the sun hit it but the only place it settled long enough to shoot was in a patch of shade. Typical! GRRRR!

It too looks like it has some trailing edge damage.

My wife wanted to try out the new lens and this is one of hers, she even managed to capture a BIF (bug-in-flight) too!

This next shot was a test to see if I could induce some PF and I am happy to report that I couldn't find any.

The next two were a test of the focusing. The local water tower is 4-500 yards away and I focused on the town's logo. I then re-focused on the roof of the apartment building (about 100 yards away) and re-composed the shot.

This final shot required a little PP to improve it. For some reason the AF just missed focusing on the flower head(s) but it was in shade and I had to apply some sharpening and contrast adjustments to it.

Overall I'm quite impressed with my latest acquisition. It's sharp when in focus, I really like the bokeh, colours are strong and vibrant and for a non-macro lens it takes pretty good close-up shots.

08-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your new lens Larry.
Very nice test shots!
The 55-300 is a favorite of mine.