Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2013, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The issue was supposedly fixed as of late 2012, but this was never officially stated for some reason.
Because according to Pentax, the issue never existed

08-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More Suggestions?

Hello Robert, Welcome to the Forum!
Some great suggestions and advice so far, I'll add a + 1 vote for the 16-45mm, I've owned this lens for several years, literally thousands of shots and never a problem. I don't know what you've heard regarding reliability but mine couldn't be more rugged and dependable. The long zoom extension can be wobbly but has never affected the performance so far.
There can be a problem with the large hood (partially) blocking a top-mounted flash on close-focus shots, but you can either not use the hood (taking a chance here, the front element is exposed) or, the solution I found is to use a simple "L" bracket, this moves the flash to the side and (with a dedicated sync cable) raises it just enough to eliminate the flash/hood blocking. The bracket also makes the somewhat heavy, bulky flash/camera rig balance and handle better.
An inexpensive softbox diffuser, roughly 6 to 8 inches square, really helps if you must use a camera-mounted flash and can't bounce it, softens and spreads the light nicely, eliminating heavy shadows and harsh highlights.
You might keep your eyes open for a used K-5, there's a few in the marketplace going for $500 or so. For about the same price you could get a new K-30, not quite as upscale but the most features in that price range available.
Good Luck and whenever the bride's mother speaks, just nod your head! Don't say a word, just agree.
Ron
08-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

might want to switch to canon/nikon for these type of gigs, primary because the client will be more "trusting" because of the brand name (it's pretty stupid but that's really how it works). I don't like wedding shooter because I really feel most of them are pretty much the same, there's absolutely nothing interesting to me. But from what I see they normally go like this.

1) multiple cameras, there's 2 people working a wedding, and most likely each of them will need 2X of the same camera, in case 1 of them break. You're probably charging 2-3k per wedding, but those bride/groom paid 20-30k for their wedding, you don't want to have broken equipment and not capturing their "amazing" moment. As for cameras, they're probably using some sort of FF or high end APSC but most likely they like it to be the same brand if not the same camera, that way they don't have to color match in PP later. I see mostly canon 5Dm2 or 6D or 7D from these guys. The reason is low light shooting is essential, it's rare to see a wedding that doesn't go into the night, in fact I never been to 1 that doesn't end at minimum 11PM/12AM, also the canon/nikon focus system is probably the best I've seen, pentax is good, but Nikon/canon have got this pat down.

2) Lightning, more "pro" wedding shooter will go with canon/nikon for their flash system, setting them up with pocket wizard for wireless firing, these guys will even set up the lightning before hand, group them into different groups and fire them up at the event, the "crappy" ones normally just go with flashes mounted on their cameras with some sort of diffuser.

3) Lens wise, they go for wide angles and possibly a 70-200 to be not intrusive during the quiet moments, from the canon lineup I would imagine the 16-35L, 24-105L and 70-200 L

Wedding photographer will probably bring the most cash, it's a good way to make money, this is why we end up with a flock of them these days.
08-11-2013, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The issue was supposedly fixed as of late 2012, but this was never officially stated for some reason.
Agreed, and there's certainly no point in renewing that tired debate. I wouldn't consider a used one for this type of work but a new stock version and have some form of backup (the Tamron 20-200mm would be my choice) ready if needed. Or a couple of longer primes.