Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Need advice on what lens to give away.

Hi!
So here's the thing. I've bought recently a kit consisting of 2 Pentax film cameras (ME Super and MZ-50), few lenses and teleconverters. I never used film SLR, in fact i used film cameras just a little and being a kid. So, from what i see the MZ50 is in very good condition, but ME super - i can't get the back lid open... well, that was a bit off the topick but still might help with giving me an advice.
I have a friend, who is interested in film photography, just as an occasional user, and he wants to buy something out of the kit. So i am thinking to give both cameras away, but my mind is stuck on the lenses. What i have is Pentax F 35-80mm from MZ50, Sigma 100-300mm f4-6.5 (AF), Super Ozeck 75-300mm, Optomax 400mm f6.
I was hoping if someone of you could tell me, if there is any point leaving any of those lenses for myself?
Thanks!

08-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty hard to answer without knowing what holes you might/might not have in your kit. Do you need a 400mm? Then maybe the optomax is good enough for now. Do you need a 100-300? Then maybe that Sigma is good enough.

Personally I wouldn't keep any of those, but that's just me I don't have any holes those would fit into. If you don't either then send them along.
08-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

First, determine what might be useful to you and then take the lenses you may want to keep and shoot a little with them. The F 35-80 has reviews on the forum as will the Sigma. Neither are high end lenses but they aren't junk and are capable of good results stopped down. The others I'm not familiar with but they may be perfectly usable glass.
08-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lens in the hand is worth two on eBay, because you can do your own review.

08-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax-F 35-80mm images on Pentax Photo Gallery: PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

Is that Optomax 400mm an f6.3? If so, I believe it was made by Tokina. Could be quite useful for backyard birds.

I'd do some shooting with them and THEN decide.
08-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cheekygeek, yeah that Optomax is f6.3. The thing is - I am trying all of those lenses, but I am too un-experienced to make an easy decision.. Well, i think Sigma 100-300mm is going, as i have new Sigma 70-300mm. The one I am thinking about a lot is 35-80mm Pentax lens. If I understand all right, this lens makes 52-120mm on APS-C DSLR, right? And from as far as i understood, this range would be good for taking portraits, right? What do you guys think? Yeah, this lens is f4-5.6, does it makes it usable for portraits actually? I understand, that there won't be that bokeh as on wider appertures.
Or maybe it would serve as a good lens with a reversing ring for macros?

yeah, too many "maybes"

Last edited by Mr_Radzins; 08-13-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: adding info
08-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Radzins Quote
The one I am thinking about a lot is 35-80mm Pentax lens.
Here is the review: SMC Pentax-F 35-80mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

On the one hand it is one of the lowest rated lenses in the database. It is also possibly the most common F series zoom on evilbay, with few buyers. On the other hand it's not worth much, and evilbay is flooded with them so selling it is not going to gain you much. So take it for a spin and see what it can do maybe you got a good copy

08-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #8

My advice regarding the 35-80 is as follows:

1) Try it out a little bit, see if you like it.
2) Unless you got an exceptionally good copy, give it away with the other stuff you're giving away. It will be of far more use to someone who doesn't have a "kit" lens and is going to use film than it will be to you.
3) If you want a zoom in a similar range, there are some others that are still cheap but much more highly rated.
08-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
My advice regarding the 35-80 is as follows:

1) Try it out a little bit, see if you like it.
2) Unless you got an exceptionally good copy, give it away with the other stuff you're giving away. It will be of far more use to someone who doesn't have a "kit" lens and is going to use film than it will be to you.
3) If you want a zoom in a similar range, there are some others that are still cheap but much more highly rated.
Yeah. Absolutely true, I didn't think about that my friend would have only long range lenses if i don't give away this lens. Camera becomes very limited. So yeah, there is the answer - it goes away!
Thank you guys.