Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-03-2014, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello ecruz,
Most new photographers who try a prime or two, (whether new or used) rarely buy another zoom, unless it's a pro-grade f/2.8 constant. Generally speaking, we're looking at a $500 to thousand-dollar zoom.
Why do you think that is?
Because they are spoiled. They've seen the difference, using the same camera and skill level they had with the zoom.
Lighter, faster, smaller, sharper, better bokeh, higher resolution, cleaner rendering, less abberations and distortion.
Ads for high-end zooms often describe their lens as 'prime-like quality'.
Have you ever seen an ad for a prime that says 'As good as any zoom'?
The first lens most aspiring photographers buy after the kit zoom(s) will be a prime. Their skill level is improving and they want better equipment to match.
Zooms are versatile, no doubt. If that's the most important quality needed, take a zoom.
Otherwise, take primes.
There is an arc of development in photographic skill when image quality becomes more necessary than convenience.
Only you can say if you've reached that point.
JMO,
Ron
Nice summary of what primes give us. I moved from zooms to primes, 15mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm. Still have long zooms and love them both but my fixed focal length primes live on the camera. I learned to plan a photo shoot by lens selection. Then I learned to move to frame each shot. Then I discovered the incredible color from my Pentax Limiteds. Now I need a second camera body so I don't have to change lenses outside in a blizzard. So if you buy a prime lens, LBA or Lens Lust will follow. Next you will "need" at least one more camera body. Plus two shoulder bags to carry this stuff. Then more lenses, because they are like Cheetos, you cannot have just one. Your car will be repossessed. Girl friend will punch you out when she sees the tripod. Homeless, living beneath the freeway overpass, you will get the Shot, using your Pentax K3 with 35mm Limited Macro. Nat Geo buys the photo and,uses it on the cover of the March issue. You are now rich. Buy more lenses.

That is why you should buy a prime lens.