Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Super LBA score

So it seems as if i scored outrageously today. It seems I picked up a Spotmatic in excellent condition, with leather case in excellent condition, an 8 element Super Takumar 50mm/1.4, a Super Takumar 105mm/2.8, a Soligor 28mm/2.8, two original brown leather hard cases (although the interior of 1 has turned to green dust), and a Pentax 49mm lens hood (with silver ring) with an original leather case stamped with "Asahi Pentax", as well as a few filters, a bunch of expired film and other accessories, all for the princely sum of $50 from someone on Craigslist. I have not yet had a chance to try out the lenses as i just picked them up today, but can't wait to try them out. I have spent the last hour reading the threads on how to identify the 8 element. I am pretty sure I can confirm that it is the 8 element. It has the convex/protruding rear element, it has red IR mark just to the left of the diamond, just inside the f4 mark, and the serial # is 1488xxx range. It also has no part # on the A/m switch, and the markings on the A/M switch are just that...a red M and a white A. It looks like there may be one pin-prick sized mark on the lens but beyond that it is cosmetically in beautiful condition. The 105/2.8 is also in beautiful condition. Sorry all..not trying to brag, just really excited. My question is whether anyone can confirm that the 50/1.4 is in fact the 8 element based on my description or at least that I am using the right criteria to make the determination? Thank you.

Last edited by toukan; 08-14-2013 at 07:04 AM.
08-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Can't confirm anything... But, wow, great catch! Congratulations
08-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Sounds like the 8-element to me!

Look here, though. There were some 7-element lenses with many of the 8-element characteristics. The only for sure confirmation is the shape of the rear element. Look at the pics, and see. The lip around the edge of the rear element is the give-away characteristic. But even the 7-element one is a score at that price,
08-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Forum Member

That's fantastic! Be sure to lock up the gear in a secure place so that its condition does not deteriorate, eh?

08-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

If it has a protruding rear element it is the 8-element.
08-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
Then yes, it does seem that I got the 8 element version. In fact, when i first saw that protruding rear element (before doing research and figuring out that was a good thing), i was a little nervous, wondering if that stuck out too far so that it would hit the mirror. Thank you all for your input.