Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2008, 05:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
how much should i worry about dust

need I be paranoid about NO dust at all or droplets of water on the lens when out shooting. I was out in the snow this morning and it drizilled so I couldn't help the lens having so water droplets on it, of course normally its impossible to keep dust off a lens when you are out shooting. need I worry too much about keeping it spotless and just give it a wipe when its getting like 10+ specs ?

03-23-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I generally check my lenses for dust right before I plan to use them. Most of it can be removed with a puff of air. I use a soft brush on more stubborn particles. (My wife uses a brand of make-up that comes with a free brush. She's given me a couple of the new, clean brushes and I've found that they fit perfectly inside an empty film container.) If there's a speck or two left on the lens, I usually don't worry about it, especially if I'm using a lens hood with that lens. A lens hood is helpful because those dust spots are more prone to showing up if light hits them. If they're shaded, they're less likely to degrade the image. Droplets of water are another matter. They almost always show up in a shot, so I do my best to dry them off as soon as possible or avoid getting them altogether, if I can.
03-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would do my best to keep it from getting rained on, unless you have one of the weather sealed ones, water is very capable of getting into the smallest cracks and crevaces.
03-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a K10D so the body is splash proof, I wanted to take pictures I had to put up with a little water. There were a few water droplets on the lens if I tried to wipe them off what would I do ? point it up wipe it and get more splashes on it while I'm trying to wipe it. I always use a lens hood

03-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I once attended a seminar with a couple of cameramen from CBS. They were showing what they carried in their "bag of tricks". One thing they suggested was carrying a small piece of chamois to use in wiping drops of water off the front of the lens. It seemed like a decent idea although I've never tried it.
03-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hm problem is if your already out in the wet you are going to take off the hood wipe it and by the time you get the hood back on its wet again
03-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I don't worry to much about a few drops on the barrel and try to find a place to dry or clean the lens as soon as possible. I've had snow and rain on the barrel a few times without any issues. If I have the forethought, I carry a couple of plastic bags and elastic bands in the camera bag that are tube shaped (our local flyers (advertisments) are delivered in the perfectly shaped plastic bag). These are great for covering the lens barrel from end to end in more damp conditions.

As for water drops on the front end, well that is the time a UV filter can come in handy ( I don't use them most of the time unless near the ocean etc). A hood is the most important add on for each lens. Carry a lens cleaning tissue kit in a ziplock bag and find a dry spot to clean the front. Don't all you guys have 42 umbrellas each? Bring one with you for a cleaning "shelter".
03-23-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
If I have the forethought, I carry a couple of plastic bags and elastic bands in the camera bag that are tube shaped (our local flyers (advertisments) are delivered in the perfectly shaped plastic bag).
I try to keep a semi-heavy plastic bag stashed in all my camera bags. If I fold the bag up carefully, I can usually fit it into one of those flat pockets that most camera bags have either on the back of the case or in the top. I can't tell you how many times that has saved me.

03-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

As for water drops on the front end, well that is the time a UV filter can come in handy
erm nope then the filter will get the water droplets, I'm not really refering to equipment safety but dust and water droplets interfering with image capture
03-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

After taking my K10D around the world in less than 9 months, being in very dusty plances and having been making photographs in the rain: there is a little spec of dust I can see in my viewfinder, no dust or other problems with lenses or on the sensor.

I'm a bit sloppy, I carry my equipment around in a small, soft, shoulder bag, together with other stuf like an umbrella etc. However, my dust reduction is always on and I try to use my DA*16-50mm exclusively when shooting in rain.

- Bert