Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Samyang or Carl Zeiss

Good day,

It comes down to choosing what to do:

Keep the 85 mm Manual Samyang, or buy the equivalent 85 mm from Carl Zeiss?

Looking on the internet, CZ is sharper, but only if you are a true pixel peeper.

Would any of you seel your Samyang for the CZ?

I' m seriously thinking of it!

All the best!

08-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's no doubt that the Carl Zeiss lenses are better all round than the Samyang equivalents. The question is: how much will the extra outlay on the Zeiss lens be valued by the user? Each potential buyer will have to answer that for themselves. The only drawback with that particular lens, as far as I can see, is the focus shift on stop-down, and that doesn't seem to put off too many users.
08-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Banned

You're not going to lose your investment on the CZ, if that matters to you...

Also, if you're looking at the pricing for a CZ, you might as well look into the Sigma 85 1.4. It has suberb reviews for Pentax, as well as for other manufacturers. Personally, for an 85, the DoF for 1.4 is pretty thin, so AF would be nice...
08-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already received some good comments. Let me add a few suggestions. The CZ85mm f1.4 and Sigma 85mm f1.4 are both heavy lenses. (I have the CZ85mm and I tried the Sigma. I cannot comment on the Rokinon/Samyang.) If weight is an issue, you may consider the FA77mm f18. The lens is AF, fast and light.

I have both CZ and FA. Totally different IMO. But worth to have both IMHO.

Food for thoughts...

08-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The Samyang probably costs 1/10 of the CZ, right? The other thing is there are some reports of the Samyang 85mm has a very, very stiff focusing ring.
The lenses probably both have IQ that's more than good enough, but its all the rest that you have to think about. Overall build, comfort, etc.
08-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You already received some good comments. Let me add a few suggestions. The CZ85mm f1.4 and Sigma 85mm f1.4 are both heavy lenses. (I have the CZ85mm and I tried the Sigma. I cannot comment on the Rokinon/Samyang.) If weight is an issue, you may consider the FA77mm f18. The lens is AF, fast and light.

I have both CZ and FA. Totally different IMO. But worth to have both IMHO.

Food for thoughts...
Hello,

The Samyang as around 539 grams, so it' s pretty heavy. The main advantage of this lens, is for a Full frame camera- still dreaming of that Pentax FF.

I was dreaming of the 77, but I can' t have them all, at once at least.

In your opinion, regarding the 77 mm vs the CZ 85 mm IQ wise, which is better?

Thank you!
08-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Morning,

A couple of questions first. What are your intentions with this lens? Are you targeting the lens because of the focal length or the speed - or both? How much speed do you really need or want? As was posted previously, DoF at f1.4 is pretty thin.

I also have a couple of suggestions.
  • Pentax Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8 - its a M42 screw mount. Manual focusing, superb build, glass and steel with a dash of black paint. They can be had here on the marketplace for $300+
  • Contax Zeiss 85mm f2.8 Sonnar - The lens is a Zeiss created for Zeiss' Contax line of film cameras. The mount will need to be changed (Leitax.com) (comes in the C/Y mount - needs to be the MM version of it). The lens will need to be acquired used, completed ebay sales are in the $300 range. $100 for the mount, and Eric swapped mounts for me @ $50. I have one (that I swapped mounts on) and its wonderful. Excellent build - but lighter than my Auto Tak 85/1.8
The other major consideration is focusing - auto vs manual. I have a number of manual focus lenses, and with landscapes focusing is easier than other types of photography. Although, I have to say using my FA 31 Ltd is a joy, and AF is there all the time.

Here is an old article, but I think that it is still accurate.

08-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't own any Carl Zeiss lenses on Pentax. And not the one you mention as well (I do own all the FA limiteds). But I can tell you one thing, the way they render image is magical. I do own 80mm and 150mm on hasselblad and 40mm on rollei (all film). The bokeh, sharpness, contrast. Even when pixel peeping on scans they have better CA and PF control than my FA limited lenses. If you can splurge on zeiss I would forget the samyang and go for either a zeiss or limited lens.

The way I choose lenses is by checking photos on Flickr. I will see if the lens renders the photos in a way I like and go from there.
08-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The Samyang probably costs 1/10 of the CZ, right? The other thing is there are some reports of the Samyang 85mm has a very, very stiff focusing ring.
The lenses probably both have IQ that's more than good enough, but its all the rest that you have to think about. Overall build, comfort, etc.
There's nothing wrong with the Samyang's focusing ring
08-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Good Morning,

A couple of questions first. What are your intentions with this lens? Are you targeting the lens because of the focal length or the speed - or both? How much speed do you really need or want? As was posted previously, DoF at f1.4 is pretty thin.

I also have a couple of suggestions.
  • Pentax Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8 - its a M42 screw mount. Manual focusing, superb build, glass and steel with a dash of black paint. They can be had here on the marketplace for $300+
  • Contax Zeiss 85mm f2.8 Sonnar - The lens is a Zeiss created for Zeiss' Contax line of film cameras. The mount will need to be changed (Leitax.com) (comes in the C/Y mount - needs to be the MM version of it). The lens will need to be acquired used, completed ebay sales are in the $300 range. $100 for the mount, and Eric swapped mounts for me @ $50. I have one (that I swapped mounts on) and its wonderful. Excellent build - but lighter than my Auto Tak 85/1.8
The other major consideration is focusing - auto vs manual. I have a number of manual focus lenses, and with landscapes focusing is easier than other types of photography. Although, I have to say using my FA 31 Ltd is a joy, and AF is there all the time.

Here is an old article, but I think that it is still accurate.

Hello,

Both focal length and speed. Plus, CZ is a brand and am curious how good they are (if they are worth the investment) . 85 mm for portraits, for when I' ll start (hopefully soon enough) more serious on taking portraits.
The 77 is in my mind as well, but the Sigma 85 mm does seem appealing with its AF- cause the equivalent from Pentax is well, kind of expensive.
Yet again, I start with two lenses and the third one comes into play- darn.

All the best!
08-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Contrary to Pablom, I find the focus ring to be stiff compared to other manual focus lens (at least the Pentax ones I've owned). The IQ is fantastic however and would be a lens I recommend.
08-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Contrary to Pablom, I find the focus ring to be stiff compared to other manual focus lens (at least the Pentax ones I've owned). The IQ is fantastic however and would be a lens I recommend.
Hello,

Yes, I have the Samyang, I know it is stiff- very stiff some might argue.
I would sell it, if I' d gain on the IQ as to worth the price (CZ for example has some high price tags) .
That is why I' m interested...
See, that' s the problem in my country. Pentax has a few dealers, far away and have nothing on stock for you to test. Not to mention nothing on stock for Pentax mount from others. This sucks big time...

All the best!
08-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
If you have the money and don't mind spending it, why not? Whether you find the purchase of the CZ satisfying is another matter. Good performance from a bargain purchase generally brings a smile to one's face. Price-appropriate performance from an expensive item may not have the same effect.

Steve
08-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good day,

It comes down to choosing what to do:

Keep the 85 mm Manual Samyang, or buy the equivalent 85 mm from Carl Zeiss?

Looking on the internet, CZ is sharper, but only if you are a true pixel peeper.

I' m seriously thinking of it!

All the best!
As an owner of several 85 f/1.4 and f/2 lenses, I can tell you straight-up that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between most 85's insofar as sharpness goes within a reasonable limit. However, when it comes to OOF rendering(bokeh) and other characteristics, I think you'll find that things can change dramatically.

PS. don't underestimate the value of owning and shooting with a lens with a sentimental value. I know alot of people try to quantify their investments with resell value etc. though that doesn't mean this is what impacts us the most in the field. ie. I own a very rare(and expensive) M42 Zeiss variant portrait lens. And though it isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, it really brings on a sense of "Je ne sais quoi" when I shoot with it. Call it what you will, but it is what it it is...

Last edited by JohnBee; 08-18-2013 at 10:52 AM.
08-18-2013, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

Both focal length and speed. Plus, CZ is a brand and am curious how good they are (if they are worth the investment) . 85 mm for portraits, for when I' ll start (hopefully soon enough) more serious on taking portraits.
The 77 is in my mind as well, but the Sigma 85 mm does seem appealing with its AF- cause the equivalent from Pentax is well, kind of expensive.
Yet again, I start with two lenses and the third one comes into play- darn.

All the best!
Since you are looking for both the focal length and speed, here is another suggestion:
  • Contax Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T* - Again available used only, B&H has one for $750 - but you would need to convert the mount (Leitax.com can do the conversion also). This lens is the older and original version of the current ZK, same speed. The primary difference is the newer ZK offers the "A" interface. The Contax would be the equivalent of the "K" lens. The used lens on sale at B&H is the mm version (green f16 notation), that is necessary for the mount swap.
Here is a comparison between the Contax and the Rokinon which I believe is the Samyang.Here is a review of the Contax vs the newer Zeiss (in the Canon mount)Here is a discussion on the Zeiss 85/1.4 ZK and the 77LtdIn the end, it is your evaluation in terms of what is best for your particular use and application.