Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Indoors, where a wide angle is required because you can't back up too far, and you want to keep your ISO low. Think museums, restaurants, bars, parties etc
When was the last time I went to a party?... someone invite me to a party, any kind of party, i'll take a 2 year old's birthday party. I have to get out more.

08-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This lens has me salivating. I have a 31Ltd, but if this Sigma lives up to expectations the 31 may be retired completely.
08-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I dont think thats been confirmed.
The lens is on the market. There is no K-mount version. What they don't sell, I can't buy. I believe that is confirmation enough.

Edit: I have been informed (later on this thread), that Sigma indeed wears the white hat and will make the lens available in Pentax mount later this year. Pre-orders are accepted at B&H and other dealers.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-18-2013 at 04:44 PM.
08-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
the whole "zoom with your feet" thing doesn't work at all where I generally shoot.
The not-too-popular-truth is that it never works. Perspective is a key element of composition and perspective is determined by the position of the camera relative to the subject. I am a huge fan of primes, but often times a zoom is the only way to get what you see.

Steve

08-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Indoors, where a wide angle is required because you can't back up too far, and you want to keep your ISO low. Think museums, restaurants, bars, parties etc
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The lens is on the market. There is no K-mount version. What they don't sell, I can't buy. I believe that is confirmation enough.

Steve
Well then, what is henry's asking me to put my money down on? If you say that again I'll post the B&H page...

08-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
I am not sure why you would need f1.8 at these focal lengths outside of environmental portraits?
It is only in the 18-24mm aspect of its range that it is particularly wide and even at 24mm (what you would use for street photography and clubs), I could see a benefit to having the wider aperture available, not so much for the low light benefit (high ISO is the better solution), but for subject isolation.

Steve
08-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
So what will people be using the faster aspect advantage of this lens for?
You suffer from a lack of imagination.
"Environmental portraits" pay the bills for a lot of photographers, no matter how boring you might think it might get. Event photographers are going to be all over this lens.

08-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Except that Sigma are on the record as saying it will be released (soon) in K-mount, and reputable retailers are already taking pre-orders.
I know the future is an abstract concept, but even I plan for it sometimes.
08-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Except that Sigma are on the record as saying it will be released (soon) in K-mount, and reputable retailers are already taking pre-orders.
I know the future is an abstract concept, but even I plan for it sometimes.
I stand corrected. It can be pre-ordered at B&H for $799 with free shipping. I could try and blame Sigma for not making that clear on their Web site*, but the notice is there on the product page indicating future availability in both Pentax and Sony mount.

Steve

*Drilling for lenses in Pentax mount does not list the 18-35/2.8

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-18-2013 at 05:07 PM.
08-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #25

It is a nice technical achievement but I will not be selling my Limiteds. I like the small size and weight of my five Limiteds. They make carrying the camera around all day an easy task, are less conspicuous and great to work with. My K01 and one of the Limiteds weigh less and give me second camera redundancy for less weight. I might buy one if I was doing events requiring low light performance at wide angle a lot but find that my K5 and K01 have good high ISO performance making the smaller lenses more practical.

And last but not least, I like shooting with primes for the most part. In most circumstances, foot zooming is easy and I find I compose better with primes. I use zooms as well but seem to get tunnel vision, my best photos seem to be done with primes, especially the 15,21, and 31.
08-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Primes4ever Quote
It is a nice technical achievement but I will not be selling my Limiteds. I like the small size and weight of my five Limiteds. They make carrying the camera around all day an easy task, are less conspicuous and great to work with. My K01 and one of the Limiteds weigh less and give me second camera redundancy for less weight. I might buy one if I was doing events requiring low light performance at wide angle a lot but find that my K5 and K01 have good high ISO performance making the smaller lenses more practical.

And last but not least, I like shooting with primes for the most part. In most circumstances, foot zooming is easy and I find I compose better with primes. I use zooms as well but seem to get tunnel vision, my best photos seem to be done with primes, especially the 15,21, and 31.
No one speaks of the extra weight of tugging 4 or 5 primes around instead of the one zoom

Thanks

Randy
08-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
No one speaks of the extra weight of tugging 4 or 5 primes around instead of the one zoom

Thanks

Randy
Or the time and bother of lens changes. Maybe I work in different places than you guys, but just don't always have time to be switching lenses back and forth.
08-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM fixed focal length quality in a zoom?

Thoughts?
Flare resistance is an especially important component of the IQ in a wide-angle prime,
and from that point of view, the answer appears to be "No".
08-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #29

While I think this is a very good lens, the weight is a problem for me as I found that when I'm on an event assignment, something as heavy as this would affect me especially when I have to use it for 2 to 3 hours non stop.
08-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #30

Thanks

Randy
I usually carry 2 or 3 small primes on hikes and street shooting. One of my Limiteds on the camera is very light and easy to carry around my neck for the whole day. The others fit in a small backpack easily and are also very light. My 15 ,21,40, and DFA 100 add up to the same weight approximately and cover a wider range. I sold my 16-50 since I found it nose heavy and this did not suit my shooting style and the 16-35 would be worse.

I would buy the new Sigma 18-35 if I was doing a lot of low light events in tight spaces, I just don't see it a desirable, carry all day around my neck first choice given my shooting preferences.