Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

types of adaptall and lens id, tamron 200-500mm?

So I was looking for cheapo tube type 400mm/500mm lenses and kind of impulse bought a tamron 200-500mm 6.9 (never though it would sell that cheap and didn't expect to win it). I was hoping for some help identifying it and or which mount it is so that I could get an adaptall mount on the way. By the way, the seller did not identify it as adaptall mount. A little research seemed to show that this lens was only made in adaptall mount (I could be wrong, I took a gamble). Seller claimed nikon mount so I guess the flange focal distance is compatible for modding if not.

First, there are m42, k, and k with the a setting adapters, right? I can just get a cheapo aftermarket m42 or k to get it working for now right (I might look for an A but I read one place it doesn't work with this lens and they are a lot more expensive).

As best as I can tell, it is adaptall 2 (I'll attach pictures and what info I have).

based on pictures, I think its this one.

Tamron Adaptall-2 200-500mm F/6.9 Model 06A

Here are the older versions

Google Translate

Google Translate

and the newer version

Tamron SP Adaptall-2 200-500mm F/5.6 Model 31A

The only think that has me questioning what version it is or if its even adaptall is the mount end looks different. Any info would be helpfull and very much appreciated including opinions on the lens or info on what mount to buy.

Attached Images

08-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

**EDIT** (at first I thought it was the 06A, but it clearly is not)

I think that is a CZ-500. (Don't know about the earlier ones, but the adaptall-2 models all have the model number on them, usually near the mount.)

So that would be the original Adaptall mount, not Adaptall-2. Not sure if they are backward compatible or not. You probably paid about all it is worth, maybe even too much.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 08-19-2013 at 09:44 AM.
08-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did you just post and then edit it and change it? I liked your first response much better, lol. I was hoping for the 06a. Thanks for your help. I cant seem to find it again (still looking), but there was another auction with an identical looking lens with better pictures for reference. I'll hold off on getting a mount till I know for sure what it is. If its adaptall 2 I wouldn't mind getting a decent pk mount (original one) but I figured a cheap m42 one might serve for now while i look around (unless I am mistaken the m42 are dirt cheap). I look into adaptall 1 mounts too. If I find better pictures that might help identify it i'll post them. Thanks again for the help.
08-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is one that looks a lot like the same lens and shows the mount (this is not the one I bought).
Auto Tamron Zoom 200 500mm 6 9 | eBay

Does that look like adaptall 1?

I paid $55 plus $25 shipping.

08-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
Did you just post and then edit it and change it? I liked your first response much better, lol. I was hoping for the 06a. Thanks for your help. I cant seem to find it again (still looking), but there was another auction with an identical looking lens with better pictures for reference. I'll hold off on getting a mount till I know for sure what it is. If its adaptall 2 I wouldn't mind getting a decent pk mount (original one) but I figured a cheap m42 one might serve for now while i look around (unless I am mistaken the m42 are dirt cheap). I look into adaptall 1 mounts too. If I find better pictures that might help identify it i'll post them. Thanks again for the help.
Yeah, wasn't paying enough attention and thought it was the 06A at first. Forgot how many of them there are. Anyway, it sure doesn't look like an adaptall-2 with it's orange lettering, etc.

I think I found it, an even earlier Adapt-A-matic:

Tamron Adapt-A-Matic 200-500mm F/6.9 Model PZ-150Au
08-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That one looks pretty similar too. I guess this one will be a mystery lens till I get it. I hope its worth what I paid.
08-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you look at the knurled grips on the lens, it seems most likely (I would even say certain) that this is indeed an Adapt-A-matic lens. Mounts for these lenses pop up on eBay now and then but you won't find a K-mount for these lenses that were discontinued in 1973. (The K-mount was introduced by Pentax in 1975 if I remeber correctly).

So, you will have to look for the M42 mount - or buy another lens with that mount:

Tamron Adapt-A-Matic 200mm f3.5 Prime Lens 9 Blade Bokeh Lens With M42 Mount | eBay

You cannot use use an aftermarket M42 Adaptall adapter, as the Adapta-A-matic adpters are are threded at the lens end also. There is a good description of the mount at Heritage Camera's home page:

Tamron Adapt-a-Matic Auto Lens Mount for Minolta SR-T XE X XG with MC Meter Coupling Boxed
08-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's one cool old fellow, looking forward to see how it performs.

08-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like it might be an even older model. I searched the patent number that was on the mount in the ebay auction, of the lens that looked like mine, and it came up adapt-a-matic. On the adaptall-2.org site page for the adapt-a-matic 200-500mm pz-150au, it seems to have a rubber focus ring. It states
"there apparently was an earlier model which featured metal knurled focus and zoom rings. We have never seen an example of this earlier model, but a photo of it is shown in one of the Adapt-A-Matic brochures."

Tamron Adapt-A-Matic 200-500mm F/6.9 Model PZ-150Au

This one seems to have metal focus and zoom rings.

If the mount is as hard to find as it is seeming it might be, I might have to try and make one. If I can do it on a canon fd lens, I can probably come up with something for this, I hope.

I'm really curious if its any good. From what I have read (at lest one place), these adapt-a-matic lenses were not computer designed or multi coated, but were basically state of the art (art of classically designed, not computer designed), top quality, hand made lenses for what they were. I guess I'll find out but I'm really curious now.

Edit: Just read somewhere else this specific one (pz-150au at least) is not so great....

Last edited by ripit; 08-19-2013 at 07:48 PM.
09-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just my luck. It seems this one has been lost by usps. No updates in tracking for 3 weeks.
09-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While not optically as good as my 200-500/5.6. It should still give some quality images. The best option for you is to go for an m42 mount and use it in AV mode

My newer F5.6 version came with a KA mount which is a blessing
09-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
While not optically as good as my 200-500/5.6. It should still give some quality images. The best option for you is to go for an m42 mount and use it in AV mode

My newer F5.6 version came with a KA mount which is a blessing
I was serious about it being lost. I have done an investigation with the post office and they don't know where it is. They suggested I contact the sender as it showed leaving a sort center 3 weeks ago and then nothing. I suggested to the seller that he inquire about it and or try to file an insurance claim if it was insured as that might get them looking for it, wherever its hiding. The seller said they wouldn't let them file a claim yet (I assume an insurance claim) as they do not consider it lost yet so hopefully it will turn up. I had a package get lost and then get delivered after over 2 months once so who knows.

I'm still not sure what I will get, but at this point, my guess is it is an even older version than the adaptamatic pz-150au. It certainly seems to be the old adaptamatic one but according to adaptall2.org, the pz-150au has rubber grips. They claim there is an older version that they have never seen before (they only know of its existence due to tamron product brochures) which has metal grips. This one seems to have metal grips so it very well may be that older version.

As far as what I'm expecting (hoping for), It is said some of these adaptamatic lenses were very well built. The pz-150au converted from yen to usd was $600-700, which adjusted for inflation equates to about $3500. I know that without computer design or multicoating (I think these may not be coated at all, not even single coat or possibly only some internal elements single coat), you just can not compete with modern lenses. I'm hoping for a very well built lens, with optical/image quality characteristic of the technology of that era. It was designed to eliminate the typical purple fringing (rather it can have red fringing). It was optimized for nature photography in this regard. I actually kind of like that aspect of it if that is the way it is (if I get it).

Also, its nikon mount. Adaptamatic m42 mounts seem a bit hard to come by (I have seen lenses with the mount but no mount). I have seen a couple of places selling them in europe, but by the time the currency is converted and I pay for international shipping it would cost as much as the lens (might be cheaper to get a lens with the mount). The pics I have seen have been very poor, but it looks like adaptamatic has a lock ring to hold the mount down. If so, I may be making a mount for now (I have m42/k adapters as well as a couple of donor k mounts) if that looks feasible, till I can find an adapter for a decent price. In all honesty, If I can make a good working k mount for it, and it functions properly, I see no reason to not just use that.