Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Xs focusing issues

I just got an xs a couple of weeks ago and decided to let my wife take it out for the day.
When we viewed the photos on the computer not one came out sharp. I spent an hour with my k5iis with the fine focus and it still seems to be out of focus what ever I do. When I use manual focus and live view they come out soft at best.
Anyone have any ideas on what is doing this?
When I checked for front or backfocus the area that is the most in focus is not sharp no matter what F stop I use.
At the price they are worth it likely would not justify fixing it with pentax.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Randy

08-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What's an xs?

Regardless, if things aren't sharp in live view, the lens is a lemon. Get it replaced.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's an xs?

Regardless, if things aren't sharp in live view, the lens is a lemon. Get it replaced.
Sorry that should read DA 40 xs

Thanks

Randy
08-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can you post some sample images?

08-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok this is very strange. I put the lens on and it seems that if I focus far away and then focus on the subject, it is sharp. but if I move the focus point say and inch, the focus doesn't move enough to get the next photo sharp.
will post some photos when I get a chance to try to figure this out.

thanks

randy
08-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hm, all I can say is that my 40mm XS focuses fast, and its very sharp when the focus is locked. Wide open its not perfect (fringing can become apparent), but stopped down even a little makes it great. Also has great bokeh at all apertures.
Do a test with manually focusing, then using regular AF, then going into live view and trying AF there. If live view CD AF doesnt focus properly, there is probably something wrong with the lens' mechanism. If MF doesnt produce sharp photos, then there is probably something wrong with the optics of the lens.