Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fungus or something else?

I am planning to buy a lens locally and noticed this on the rear element. Any idea what is this? First I thought that it was fungus but after some closer inspection, it looks something else. Another clue is, I noticed some green fluid leakage at mount.

Any idea?

Thanks
Yusuf

Attached Images

08-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
looks perhaps like elements separation - and also something could have started to grow in between them. I would probably avoid this lens.
08-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
looks perhaps like elements separation - and also something could have started to grow in between them. I would probably avoid this lens.
+1. I have seen a lens do this before and it looked very much like this.

BTW: great job photographing he problem - I have tried shooting problems on elements before and it can be surprisingly difficult to get such a clear view of it.
08-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Any idea what could have caused this?

08-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Any idea what could have caused this?
Mostly just age, though heat can cause the cement to break down faster.

It is repairable, but it is costly to have it done. I've always wanted to try it myself, but never had a lens with the problem that would be worth repairing. I have saved a few good cemented elements out of otherwise junk lenses to practice on if I ever get a good lens that I would actually want to save. The cement isn't cheap, so I want a really good reason to attempt it.
08-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Mostly just age, though heat can cause the cement to break down faster
Thanks, yes looks like bad storage condition caused it. It's usable right now but according to a local repair shop, it will inevitably spread. Is that the case with all such element separation problems?
08-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Thanks, yes looks like bad storage condition caused it. It's usable right now but according to a local repair shop, it will inevitably spread. Is that the case with all such element separation problems?
the short answer is : Yes. The long one - it depends , takes time and etc. but sooner or later it will worsen and furthermore - it becomes vulnerable for fungus and hazing in between the elements separated. So the best advice is : Avoid - or in case of valuable lenses - Repair. And THAT is probably another topic

-manntax