Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
If it's too dark to see your CAMERA, how are you going to take pictures? Was there an SMC-A 50/0.05 that I missed? (Imagine that... the front element would be something on the order of a meter across!)
You've never used a LX have you? Done any astrophotography or light painting?

08-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You've never used a LX have you? Done any astrophotography or light painting?
Nope, I have never used an LX.

I do some astrophotography, but I pretty much always have a flashlight with me. I also don't need to change lenses while doing astrophotography. I used to keep my cheap 500/8 or my 400/6.3 with a 3x teleconverter on for astrophotography. Now I use my newly acquired Celestron C90 1000mm reflex. I haven't tried a TC on it yet, but I'll probably drop a 2x on it and see what it's like.
08-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yellow? White? How about green cloisonne enamel? (FA 77/1.8 Limited)

Steve
08-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
Nope, I have never used an LX.
Well the LX could meter from -6.5EV to 20 EV with a maximum shutter speed of 125s in auto mode. So yes, you could take pictures when it was too dark to see the camera.

08-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by npridgeon Quote
On a lot of manual lenses there is a yellow round button on the aperture ring, no...above the aperture ring. It doesn't seem to do anything when pressed. What exactly is it's purpose, and if it's missing, what affect will it have on the lens? I saw a lens on ebay claiming to be mint, yet the thing was missing.
As others have said, the bump is just an index to help with alignment when changing lenses.

I happened to have a KX with a 50/1.7 as well as a K 85-210 sitting on my desk while looking at this thread, so I played with them a bit. I've been using the lenses with bumps since the late seventies, and it was interesting to note that my hands instinctively made use of the bump in the lens changing process. It's something I learned when doing newspaper photography with prime lenses in fast-changing situations. With practice the bumps can be very useful for fast accurate lens changes.

Or maybe the bumps are pixie dust reservoirs.

Last edited by John Poirier; 08-21-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: speellinggandgrammer