Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I see holes in all of your lens collections. Big holes. Now go fill them.
Most of the big holes are there because it's just too damn expensive to fill them. That's really the only thing that can keep LBA in check: lack of requisite funds.

I'm pretty much satisfied with what I have, with one exception: I have yet to find a standard zoom lens that I'm entirely pleased with. It's not so much that what I have is bad or mediocre (I have the DA 16-45, which is pretty darn good), it's just it's not as good as most of my other glass, and somehow I don't think that should be the case with a lens as important to one's kit as the standard zoom. The upcoming DA* 16-85, promised on the roadmap, might be the answer, but I have doubts whether I will be able to afford it when, or rather if, it comes out.

08-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
The upcoming DA* 16-85, promised on the roadmap, might be the answer, but I have doubts whether I will be able to afford it when, or rather if, it comes out.
I am also waiting with bated optimism for this lens... I fear that if it is as good as I want it to be, it will cost more than I'm willing to pay.
08-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I am also waiting with bated optimism for this lens... I fear that if it is as good as I want it to be, it will cost more than I'm willing to pay.
Given the insanity of Maximum Assured Pricing and the * lens price increases, I am afraid that is pretty much a given for me.
08-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #49
Pentaxian

That's really the only thing that can keep LBA in check: lack of requisite funds.
yep, same here.

08-26-2013, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently splashed out on a 77 ltd and thought that would be it. Then I suddenly came into some cash (more than a little) and on a total impulse bought an A* 85mm. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I was thinking given I just got the 77 (I think I wasn't thinking). So as I see it, LBA is similar to sex in that you see the lens, all the blood rushes from your head, leaving you delirious and susceptible, then you blow a wad of cash. Does that pretty well sum it up?
08-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
I recently splashed out on a 77 ltd and thought that would be it. Then I suddenly came into some cash (more than a little) and on a total impulse bought an A* 85mm. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I was thinking given I just got the 77 (I think I wasn't thinking). So as I see it, LBA is similar to sex in that you see the lens, all the blood rushes from your head, leaving you delirious and susceptible, then you blow a wad of cash. Does that pretty well sum it up?
Your analogy of sex, blood rushing from your head, delirious, susceptible, then blowing a wad of cash makes me think you are either paying for sex, or you are married(which is basically the same thing...lol)
08-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Married, and yes, it's the same (lol)

08-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #53
Pentaxian

I have yet to find a standard zoom lens that I'm entirely pleased with.
I was less than entirely pleased with my Tamron 17-50/2.8
when it wouldn't always focus on my K-x well enough to use at f/2.8,
or to pull out the crispness that the lens should be able to produce.

But now I'm using it with the fast, accurate CDAF
on a K-01 with the latest firmware,
all that has changed, and it's looking a lot better.

Sure, it's not as robust as a good legacy Pentax or a Zeiss ZK,
but for its price, no more cause for complaint.
08-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I was less than entirely pleased with my Tamron 17-50/2.8 when it wouldn't always focus on my K-x well enough to use at f/2.8, or to pull out the crispness that the lens should be able to produce. But now I'm using it with the fast, accurate CDAF on a K-01 with the latest firmware, all that has changed, and it's looking a lot better.
Funny, I was the same way with my DA 21mm and Tamron 10-24. Both seem to work much better on my K-01 than my K-x. It's breathed new life into some of my lenses...
08-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #55
Pentaxian

I was less than entirely pleased with my Tamron 17-50/2.8 when it wouldn't always focus on my K-x well enough to use at f/2.8, or to pull out the crispness that the lens should be able to produce. But now I'm using it with the fast, accurate CDAF on a K-01 with the latest firmware, all that has changed, and it's looking a lot better.
CDAF is more accurate; and if you're having focus/resolution issues with a lens, that could be the answer to your problems. That is not the case, however, with my dissatisfaction with the DA 16-45. I'm getting sharp results out of it (although I often have to focus manually to do so); what I'm not getting is the stunning color rendition and microcontrast of my primes and my FA 24-90. I don't think the K-01 can solve that issue (and even if it could, lack of a viewfinder makes that camera unusable for my kind of photography).
08-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I don't think the K-01 can solve that issue (and even if it could, lack of a viewfinder makes that camera unusable for my kind of photography).
I would have thought that the K-01 would work well for a lot of your landscapes and seascapes.
I quite like it for landscape use.
08-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #57
Pentaxian

I would have thought that the K-01 would work well for a lot of your landscapes and seascapes. I quite like it for landscape use.
I need a viewfinder to see what I'm doing. Otherwise all kinds of composition errors tend to creep in.