Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bower 14mm f/2.8 question

B&H has this lens on sale right now and I am thinking about getting it. Two of the uses I want it for is low light and landscape, including waterfalls. This lens is not threaded for filters and a rounded front lens element. Would anyone know if it is possible to hand hold a square ND filter close enough to the glass enable the use of a slower shutter speed? I have done this with other lens with good results, but the glass in those lens were flat & recede in the lens.

08-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #2

Don't they make a contraption designed to solve this problem? I know I've seen something sort of like a cage that holds one or more square filters in front of lens.

Sorry, I don't have a link.

If you don't care about appearances, you could probably build one with some fence wire or something.

Last edited by thornburg; 08-22-2013 at 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling
08-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can get a 95mm metal telephoto cylindrical hood with front threads (Sonia makes one that is 3" long) and slide it over the lens. You can attach any 95mm filter on it. There are a couple mm of play between the extra hood and the build in hood, but if the lens is not pointed down you can just rest it over. If pointed down you must hold it to prevent from sliding out.
08-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for the information. I went ahead and ordered the lens. I am not sure how well I will do with manual focus, but there is only one way to find out.

08-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I am not sure how well I will do with manual focus,
I expect manual focus with an ultra-wide angle won't cause you too much stress. At f2.8 anything from about 3 metres to infinity will be in focus.