Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
When Arts Collide!

Not too long ago I asked for advice on which FA lens to purchase (in Sept) next, the FA28/2.8 or the FA35/2 before moving on to the DA15mm Unlimited. It will be the FA28, but it won't be next month. Since I recently worked on my Bonsai, I decided to snap some progression shots with the FA50/1.4 I bought this month and was like "man, I need a Macro!!!" So guess it will be the FA100/2.8 Macro that wasn't even on my list. It should be pretty handy with my trees. Also, I'm loving the FA50, but being it's the fastest lens I've touched and the first prime I've shot with, I need more practice with composition.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
08-22-2013, 05:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before you buy a macro, get a tripod. Stop down to F/16 to get greater depth of field, and change your angle so you minimize the distance between the front and back objects you want to keep focused. You may, of course, choose to blur part of the picture, but not sure that is what you were trying to do above.

In the above you used F/1.4 which gives only 0.06" depth of field (biggest issue), plus the FA is much softer at F/1.4. Also you are hand helding, which is likely affecting the result as well. Btw even at F/16 your depth of field is less than an inch when you are a foot away.

Try the tripod, and stop down. I will think you will be quite happy with the result.