Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This past weekend I went hiking and wanted photography to be as unobstrusive as possible so I took a film camera and 3 lenses. What a joy.

P30t + F28 + F50/1.7 + FA100/3.5 + 49mm CPL filter (thanks Pentax, fits all three)

Small, light and simple

09-29-2014, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I hiked up a nearby mountain I've been wanting to explore for a while on Friday. I needed a rock helmet and wanted to travel light so that didn't leave me a lot of pack space in my small pack.
I brought my K-3, DA40, DA15, and Sears 135/2.8 with my Manfrotto CF tripod strapped to the pack. I got the most use out of the 40 and found that to be a reasonable load even with some grade 4 scrambling (light climbing).
I had the camera with a lens mounted on my Black Rapid Sport and the rest in a small dry bag that went in my pack.

I did this pano with the DA 40
09-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
See any holes in my kit? What do you bring along for hiking or general screw offery with your camera?
Well, you didn't ask for suggestions to lighten the load so I presume you're comfortable with the kit shown.

Three very useful but inconspicuous items that've been in my field kit for about 40 years are:
- a set of diopter lenses (close-up filters). They can open a door for close-ups and just having them along often opens the awareness of the potential. Even with a one-lens kit there's a +2 or +4 filter in a shirt pocket and the results can be far better than the usual bad-mouthin' claims.
- a folded sheet of aluminum foil for use as either a reflector or a shade as needed and a thin white cloth to act as a flash diffuser for close-up lighting.
- A heavy-duty spring clamp with a really cheap ball head attached to one handle to allow hands free camera manipulation. Even if you don't use it as a 'pod, it can be very convenient to have a third hand and a way to walk away from the camera.

At one time I used photography for aviation mishap investigation and each of these has been field proven on many occasions, although primarily for nearby subjects.

I've grown to like the Gorilla-pod in the field too.
09-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #79
Veteran Member

For hiking, I love my Qs! I prefer bringing a few, usually the Q7 with the 06 or 08, and another Q fitted with an extension tube and its own 08 for macro use. Now and then I will bring the Leica Tabletop Tripod. And a lot of batteries, of course.

09-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You went on a 10-hour hike with that kit? What, about 3 miles?

My hiking kit has steadily evolved and improved, starting out lugging 20+ pounds of P67II gear or Nikon D3 or similar. Now I'm down to just a Fuji X-A1 and primes: Voigtlander 15/4.5, Fuji 18/2 (if I want wide AF), 35/1.4, and the 60/2.4 macro. Of course, I'm not doing birds or bears or anything like that.