Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
M24-35/f3.5 - any sample pictures?

Any opinion and especially sample pictures from this lens?

Actually I am looking for 20/24mm primes so I checked with a local seller and he offered me a like new copy of M24-35/f3.5 for around $60. Although I am not much interested in zoom, I tried to find some info on this lens and couldn't find much except a review here and one more thread.

Yusuf

08-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the same lens I accept, but I am impressed with the M28-50 from the same era. Close to prime sharpness at F5.6 (have compared to M28/3.5 and M50/1.7 on same scene) and tremendous colour saturation which must speak highly of the particular SMC coatings applied... Hey, for 60 bucks, just have a go with it!
08-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #3

There are some reviews here in the lens database. See the two links below:

SMC Pentax-M 24-35mm F3.5 Reviews - M Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
M 24-35/3.5
08-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah I saw that but was looking for more information and if it's worth buying it for Film and FF.

08-23-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's a completely non-scientific comparison of the M24-35mm/3.5 against the 18-55mm kit lens (second version), using unsharpened raw-jpeg conversions at Photoshop defaults.

In real-world use there isn't much difference in sharpness between the two, and any difference you see in these shots is more likely to be from slightly different points of focus than from actual lens sharpness. If you're happy with the kit lens sharpness, you'll probably be happy with the 24-35mm, but don't expect it to be as good as a prime.

Personally I much prefer the colour rendering of the 24-35mm. It gives warmer colours than the kit lens -- in fact much warmer than you can tell from this particular comparison. Whether or not it might be a bit too warm is a question of personal taste.

I've also owned the K24mm/2.8, although I've now sold it. The K series was obviously sharper, but I found that I used the 24-35mm more often because I preferred its colour rendering. The 24-35mm is particularly flattering with caucasian skin tones, making white people look more sun-tanned than they really are, while the K series had an excessively greenish rendering that at its worst made people look almost corpse-like.

The biggest flaw of the 24-35mm is very heavy chromatic aberration wide open. At f/3.5 you need to be very careful with high-contrast edges.

I hope these test shots are of some sort of use, although really the 24-35mm is such a quirky lens that for $60 your best bet is to buy, try it, and see if it suits your taste. You can always sell it on if you decide it's not right for you.

08-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Yeah I saw that but was looking for more information and if it's worth buying it for Film and FF.
I have the M24-35. I loved it when I shot film because it's range was useful to me for landscapes. Now that I'm shooting digital, I don't use it as much. For what I like to shoot, the 24-35's zoom range sits in an area where I keep wanting it to be either wider or longer. Someone else might find it perfect, though.
08-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've also owned the K24mm/2.8, although I've now sold it. The K series was obviously sharper, but I found that I used the 24-35mm more often because I preferred its colour rendering. The 24-35mm is particularly flattering with caucasian skin tones, making white people look more sun-tanned than they really are, while the K series had an excessively greenish rendering that at its worst made people look almost corpse-like.

Thanks, that comparison is very useful, I never used kit lens before but I can see the point. Green looks better on 24-35 but I can see other colors are more saturated with 18-55, is that what you noticed too? or it's just an exposure difference?

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I have the M24-35. I loved it when I shot film because it's range was useful to me for landscapes. Now that I'm shooting digital, I don't use it as much. For what I like to shoot, the 24-35's zoom range sits in an area where I keep wanting it to be either wider or longer. Someone else might find it perfect, though.
TaoMaas, I already have Sigma 10-20mm so I am mainly looking at this lens to use it for shooting landscape on film and FF (Canon FF or NEX with Lensturbo). I again see myself using it stopped-down, say f8 and f11.

Any inputs on corner performance on film or FF.
08-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

TaoMaas, I already have Sigma 10-20mm so I am mainly looking at this lens to use it for shooting landscape on film and FF (Canon FF or NEX with Lensturbo). I again see myself using it stopped-down, say f8 and f11.

Since you have the 10-20, it might fill a nice little niche for you, especially for the price. It's a typically solid little Pentax lens from that era. Sorry...I don't have any info on corner performance because I've never really checked it. About all I can say is that it must not be glaringly bad because it never jumped out at me.

08-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I've also owned the K24mm/2.8, although I've now sold it . . . the K series had an excessively greenish rendering that at its worst made people look almost corpse-like.
On which camera and white balance settings did this appear?

I've never had that problem with my K24/2.8,
although, truth be told,
I've never ventured out onto Dartmoor.
08-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter

It’s a 35 year old zoom, so yes you will have distortion at some apertures. Also you need the original hood if using it on film, or you’ll get flare as well. Also note there are no distance scales next to the aperture ring on these zooms, so Hyperfocal Focusing is a pain

Phil.
08-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
gofour3 (Phil) is absolutely right to point out the lack of hyperfocal markings, and he's right that it's a pain in the neck sometimes. I don't think anyone's ever going to nominate the 24-35mm as a great lens, just one that might be worth considering for the price if it falls within your personal tolerances.

@lytrytyr: It's very possible that the greenish cast from my K24mm was a weird interaction with the K100D that I was using at the time (always in raw with manual white balance). Or maybe something had happened to the coating on my particular copy over the years. But I'll say no more on the subject for fear of going off-topic. (Have no fear of Dartmoor. Most people manage to make it home alive without disappearing into a peat bog or getting eaten by ghostly hounds.)
08-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A lots of useful info. Thank you all. Btw, I just came across Pentax 18-35, Tokina/Vivitar 19-35mm (around the same price as 24-35) and Tokina 20-35mm ($250+). Can anyone provide comparison with M24-35?

Thanks