Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma can't repair my 50 F2.8 macro as it is discontinued - who can?

So I recently sent back my Sigma 50 F2.8 to their service center here in NY, and they responded that they cannot repair that lens because the parts are out of production. The lens suffers from decentering (well, at least that's my diagnosis based on a blurry left edge of images), and I really don't want to buy a new Sigma 50 F2.8. Is there someone else or some other service that can repair outdated lenses?

I already have a Sigma 105 macro, so I don't really need a replacement - but I didn't want to sell this lens on the marketplace because it has a defect that Sigma won't repair. So it's kind of a conundrum for me. Any advice would be great.

08-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I had an old Sigma lens that also couldn't be repaired -- they gave me a generous credit for it as trade-in value towards a new Sigma lens which they sold to me basically at the wholesale price. (trade-in lens + cash) That's how I got my Sigma 70/2.8 macro when I started out with a broken older Sigma 24/2.8 Super-Wide II. I ended up keeping the 70, but I could have flipped it and got back the cash I put in + the amount the 24 would have been worth (if repaired) on the used market.
08-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I had an old Sigma lens that also couldn't be repaired -- they gave me a generous credit for it as trade-in value towards a new Sigma lens which they sold to me basically at the wholesale price. (trade-in lens + cash)
They did give me a credit discount, but I didn't know it could be applied to another Sigma lens. They said they could swap it for the new Sigma 50 F2.8. I could pose that question and see what they say.

Alternatively, I really would like to just get it repaired, so my question still stands.
08-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
They did give me a credit discount, but I didn't know it could be applied to another Sigma lens. They said they could swap it for the new Sigma 50 F2.8. I could pose that question and see what they say.

Alternatively, I really would like to just get it repaired, so my question still stands.
Yeah, they were pushing me towards a 31 as an upgrade for the 24, but I really just wanted to sell the 24 and was more interested in the 70 for myself. Anyway, might be an option just to get the some of value of your lens back since it isn't worth much broken...

08-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the tip, I'll hang around and see if there is any other help. If not, I might just take up that offer - get a discount on the 18-35 or something lol..
08-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They said they could swap it for the new Sigma 50 F2.8.
I already have a Sigma 105 macro, so I don't really need a replacement - but I didn't want to sell this lens on the marketplace because it has a defect that Sigma won't repair. So it's kind of a conundrum for me. Any advice would be great.
Just curious why you didn't swap it for the newer model, and then sell the newer one if you didn't need it?
08-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Just curious why you didn't swap it for the newer model, and then sell the newer one if you didn't need it?
Because the discount they are giving me is for 80 bucks ($360 msrp, $280 from them).
I spent $220 on the original lens.

If I trade the lens in and pay $280 for the new 50 F2.8, I am not sure what I can get for it on the market - I am assuming around $250-280 from what I see here. So I would be out my original $220 at least.

If I can get the lens fixed for $100, and then sell the lens for $220 again, I would only be out $100. In any scenario, unless the lens repair is going to cost the full price of the lens, I would lose less by getting it repaired.

Mind you - I am not displeased that they are giving me a discount, since I bought the lens used and it is an old lens. I just would prefer to cut my losses if possible. If not, then I will follow through with trading it in and getting the new 50 F2.8. In that case, I might just sell my Sigma 105 F2.8 because I got that for quite a deal.

08-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Because the discount they are giving me is for 80 bucks ($360 msrp, $280 from them).
I spent $220 on the original lens.
I'm sorry I misunderstood, and thanks for explaining it. When you said "swap" earlier, it usually means an even trade at no additional cost.

That's a tough decision. Please let us know what you ultimately decide.
08-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I doubt any one else will bw bale to repair your lens as they have to get the parts if required from Sigma. Your only hope is to buy another one and get a decent third party lens repair shop to make one good one from two. Costvwise with their labour probably not worth it.

I have lost two very sharp no longer available Tokina 28-70 Pentax fit lenses because no one could repair due to no spares.
08-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You might want to check with KEH, I don't know if they will be able to help in your specific case but they were able to help me about a year and a half ago when I got the same response from Sigma.

I have an old 1000mm Sigma mirror lens that I bough new back in the early 80's. The lens was having some focusing issues and the mirror was starting to get a little foggy in spots (I had originally bought it for a trip to Florida to shoot the space shuttle and I hadnt used it in years, but wanted to get it fixed for sentimental reasons) Sigma said that since it was so far out of production, "beyond its useful life" that they couldn't / wouldnt work on it as some of the required parts were no longer available.

On a chance I called KEH, they said to send it in and they'd at least look at it and see if it was possible. They sent me an estimate and said it would indeed need a few parts, but they were able to find them (i dont know how, maybe they had some old mirror lens parts) and after about two weeks I got it back As good as new.

Might be at least worth a call.

Steve
08-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Odinz. I didn't know KEH repairs lenses. I will check with them.
08-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, they do have a repair center, I have used them a couple of times on items that others couldn't fix. They are a bit more expensive than say Eric, who I usually use, but if the lens is important enough for me, I don't mind paying the extra price if it can actually be repaired.

Steve
08-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
You might want to check with KEH, I don't know if they will be able to help in your specific case but they were able to help me about a year and a half ago when I got the same response from Sigma.

On a chance I called KEH, they said to send it in and they'd at least look at it and see if it was possible. They sent me an estimate and said it would indeed need a few parts, but they were able to find them (i dont know how, maybe they had some old mirror lens parts) and after about two weeks I got it back As good as new.
They have representatives traveling to different parts of the country buying gear in person at camera shows and such, in addition to the purchases they make via their site. I'm sure some of the lenses and other gear might look okay to the naked eye, but might suffer from some problem that is not obvious from even close inspection by a knowledgeable buyer. If they find they can't sell something, even with an "ugly" rating and a caveat that the item is not truly functional for its original purpose, they still own it, and probably relegate it to be used for parts. Also they have the option of purchasing older gear at pennies on the dollar just for parts. From these, I imagine that they have quite an inventory of gear that they strip for parts. I would think that this would make them a primary source for repair of discontinued gear that the OEMs either can't or won't support at all.

Scott