Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richardstringer Quote
Yeah I get what you're saying about the 50mm Sigma being tight and not giving me enough field of view in a city, I realised that only 4 hours ago when I set my 18-55mm kit lens to 50 mm (by taking a photo, looking on the lcd screen at what the exact focal length was, then adjusting the focal length a tad and taking another photo so I could get it to 50mm) and yeah it was tight, I very much doubt when I go to London next month that i'll be able to get far enough back in the museums to make decent use of the 50mm or maybe even the 35mm for that matter. I've looked into the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 earlier and read nothing but great reviews for it, especially when used on cropped frame sensor cameras like my Pentax K30. If I bought that and used it as a walkabout lens it'd do me in 70% of the situations I take photos in really. Then a little later I could buy a Tamron 90mm prime for very important portraits of my kids so I don't have to get in their face and also I can get the best image quality I can. Then next month I could get myself a Pentax 55-300mm for wildlife. I went to a nature park today (obviously armed only with my 18-55mm kit lens) and just could not get anywhere near close enough to the animals to get any decent shots, I know I could crop the photos but the closest I could get to the animals was like 50 metres away so the 55-300mm would be amazing for those kinds of photos.

So I think i'm gonna go for the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for now in a few days time and i'll take that down London when I go. Plus with that lens it can completely replace my 18-55mm kit lens because of the focal range of it. I've looked into the Pentax 17-70mm but it's more than 600 so it's out my budget. I can get the Tamrom 28-75mm f2.8 for as little as 270.
Your decision to go for the 28-75 makes sense. It should perform better than the kit lens at wider apertures. However, like others I'm wondering whether you might have a bad copy of the kit lens. I use mine quite extensively for large prints. Quality does slip a little at the longer end of its range, but very modest sharpening produces acceptable results. I generally work at f/8 or smaller. (I have lots of prime lenses if I need something faster.)

Also, was your testing of the kit lens done on a tripod with manual focus? That can make quite a difference. If you haven't tested that way, you might want to try it to make sure the problem is the lens, not your technique or an AF issue. Otherwise you might be disappointed with your new lens.

08-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #17

Original Poster
I always use auto-focus because I don't trust my eyes too much about focus. I tried auto-focus yesterday on a flower and it seemed that I had the right focus, but after the picture was taken, I zoomed in and found my focus was pretty far off. Then I used auto-focus and it was much better. Oh and no I was handholding, i've been thinking this morning, shutter speed might play a part because I was using shutter speeds no higher than 1/60sec so I could keep the ISO at 200 and also try and maintain an aperteur or no bigger than f8. I find my lens gets soft and pretty bad image quality at f numbers higher than f8. I tried f11 but it wasn't very good. What noise reduction settings do you have on your ISO settings? I have it set to 'off' on ISO100 and 200, then at ISO400 i've got it set to 2, ISO800 i've got it set to 2 and ISO's higher than that i've got it set to 3.