Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

SMC FA Lenses with K-30

My main question is, will the auto focus work with my K-30? If so, is there any special set up needed, aside from setting "aperture ring" to "enable"?

Thanks

08-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #2

It will work perfectly fine
K-mounts!!!
Have a good one =]
08-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay, next question. Do I need to change any settings on the camera to get it to work? I tried an SMC FA 80-320 at a local shop & it wouldn't auto focus. I set the "aperture ring" setting to enable, set the aperture ring on the lens to "A" and it wouldn't even try to focus. I assume I'm just missing some setting.
08-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ecruz Quote
Okay, next question. Do I need to change any settings on the camera to get it to work? I tried an SMC FA 80-320 at a local shop & it wouldn't auto focus. I set the "aperture ring" setting to enable, set the aperture ring on the lens to "A" and it wouldn't even try to focus. I assume I'm just missing some setting.
You don't need to change any settings, just make sure the camera is in AF mode. If you get the "F--" message on the status screen, try cleaning the lens contacts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ecruz Quote
If so, is there any special set up needed, aside from setting "aperture ring" to "enable"?
You don't even have to do that. FA lenses are fully compatible with your camera and all Pentax digital and film cameras that came before it.
08-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
try cleaning the lens contacts.
...or putting the aperture ring back on the "A" position...

Steve
08-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you get the "F--" message on the status screen, try cleaning the lens contacts.
That is what I got. I'll go back & give it another shot.

Thanks,
E-

08-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The FA80-320 has a special problem: Itīs common that the inner plastic supporting the electrical contacts breaks and so they donīt do contact with the camera so F-- is displayed. Try pushing the contacts on the lens manually and compare their resistence to other lens (the contacts are spring loaded)