Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 05:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Earlier this month I was shooting test shots with my DA*16-50 (for Lowell, by the way) and feeling pretty miserable, the kit lens was trouncing it on all counts. I decided I needed cheering up. Now there is only one lens in my bag that never fails to lift my spirits, so out it came, my first star lens and still my best:

100% corner crop, wide open, just a test shot:

The whole frame:

JPEG straight from camera.

Now, thats a real star lens, the F*300 4.5, not that damn dog star 16-50.

03-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
selar, the sharpness is there but the purple fringing is annoying.
03-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax K300mm F4.0

QuoteOriginally posted by hmcfly Quote
I have the Pentax 50-200 lens and I find it lacking in distance. I have read a few reports on 300 telephoto lens and they complain about how bad the lens get at 250 +. Is there a reasonable lens out there that fits this need? I Just got a K200D
and i'm going to Mexico. Thanks
I'm surprised only one other person mentioned the K300 F4.0 It is a great lens. It's main problem is the lack of a tripod mount. If you look thru the attached link, many of those shots were made with it. It is a fully manual lens so if you are looking for AF this one won't work. But I'm very satisfied with it.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/5813-kites-lots-images-some-replies.html

and here is another link I couldn't find at first. This one is all K300.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/5027-some-more-pentax-smc-300-f4.html

NaCl(I've seen it frequently offered at KEH)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 03-26-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added other link
03-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The SMC300 f/4.0 is like a wild mustang, untamed yet beautiful.

I've taken some of my favorite shots with it, and some scary (CA) shots with it. I like the way it handles, and I think it's an attractive lens (yeah, I know that doesn't mean much). I don't mind the weight, and indeed think it helps the handling.

I'm not great at manually focusing, so I battle that. I've used the 1.7x AF converter, but at that point I think the Bigma is better, though the 300 + 1.7 converter is more compact.

Here are some examples with the K100D.

The good:

And the bad (notice the weird fringing on the bright parts):

I will say that (as usual) the bad shots are most likely user error, meaning I didn't get a proper exposure. Over exposure will lead to blown highlights and CA.

03-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
selar, the sharpness is there but the purple fringing is annoying.
The PF is there, but I'd hardly call it annoying. Most people I showed that 100% crop to, didn't notice it, I actually had to point it out to them.

Anyway, if that amount of PF annoys you, you'd best stay away from the new DA*s, which are worse.

The more exotic the lens design, the more likely it is to PF, I have observed.