Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What killed my LBA was the recent Ricoh lens debacle, where they advertised a good price for a lens on their official website for 3 days, and then canceled all the orders afterwards. I now see Ricoh as a two-bit company, doing everything they can to keep what little profits they have at the expense of their customers.

Unless a lens is dirt-cheap or at a too-good-to-resist price, I will no longer buy Pentax lenses. It's unfeasible to invest in any more lenses from Ricoh, which as a company may fold or go out-of-business at any time, considering their recent business practices.

08-27-2013, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
What killed my LBA was the recent Ricoh lens debacle, where they advertised a good price for a lens on their official website for 3 days, and then canceled all the orders afterwards. I now see Ricoh as a two-bit company, doing everything they can to keep what little profits they have at the expense of their customers.

Unless a lens is dirt-cheap or at a too-good-to-resist price, I will no longer buy Pentax lenses. It's unfeasible to invest in any more lenses from Ricoh, which as a company may fold or go out-of-business at any time, considering their recent business practices.

QuoteQuote:
I'm sure that is you current attitude. I'm just not sure you can blame it on the current fiasco. If you are upset you didn't get a lens possibly below cost, you don't really care about Ricoh and their bottom line, and it was probably true before the fiasco. You just want cheap stuff. I know you think they should give you a lens below cost, (and you're quite willing to take advantage of a mistake someone who works for the company made.) but Ricoh will go out of business by giving you what you want... not by admitting they made a mistake. And while I understand your frustration, I doubt Ricoh can make a business plan based on customers like yourself. They have to make money somewhere, a sad but true fact of life.
08-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HoBykoYan Quote
Anyway here's what happened...before i just keep on looking at this website everyday and if i like a lens then i would go for it...So what stopped my LBA? Just these 3 lenses that i currently own...
First i got my a S-M-C 50 1.4 then a M 100 2.8 and lastly the K 28 3.5... and that's all it just stopped there...
Don't get me wrong, yes i still look at this website at least 3x a week but hell yeah i dont have the urge to buy anymore...

A friend lend me a K85 1.8, Helios 40-2 and meyer optik 29 2.8... didn't like them... i dont know i just stopped and im soo glad it did...

Anybody here with the same story? (another lens of course)
The incredible shrinking budget is partly to blame - but so is the combo of 16-45 and 40+70 Limiteds. Add in the 50-200wr for occasional tele use, a few good filters plus a couple of decent oddball lenses and I really am set for what I do. Yes I've said that before, and I'll say it again with a new set in a year but for now I'm a happy snapper!
08-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have a lot of lenses, but right now the ones I have suit me well. Thanks for the perspective, and reinforcement.

The only thing which really tempts me is a long prime - convenient to move around like a DA*300. At this point, it's about deciding if there's something I can't do with the lenses I have, and if it's really important enough for me to start saving money for a purchase.

08-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

If I'm fully satisfied with a lens, I feel no need to get another lens like it. I'm fully satisfied, for example, with the DFA 100 macro. Hence I have no interest in other macro lenses. I also am not interested in lenses that don't fit my shooting style and which I would rarely, if ever use. If by some quirk of fate I wound up inheriting an A* 135/1.8, while I might play with it for a few weeks just to see what all the fuss is about, that is not a lens I would keep. In my current financial situation, I can't justify keeping a lens worth thousands of dollars that I would hardly ever use.

I merely wish to have the best lenses I can afford that fit my shooting style. I'm not interesting in collecting lenses or trying nearly every lens ever made. I pursue lenses that I'm actually going to use, and which will improve on what I currently own. If it's not better than what I have, or if I will hardly ever use it, or if it's too expensive, I don't want it.