Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hoods: Why aren't them all like the one for the DA21?

Iīve been attracted to "pancake" or small lenses from the day I started taking photographs. They look great and are easy to carry, manipulate... Until you need to attach a hood to them. Be it for protecting them against flare, weather, bumps, etc. hoods are generally big, ugly and big.
I donīt care about that when hiking, travelling, etc. But when doing some kinds of photography, placing the camera+lens+hood in a bag...

Now, whatīs going on with the hood designed for the DA21 or DA40 limiteds? They seem to work fine and are small. The DA21 specially which takes advantage of a rectangular opening which is known to be more efficient than a circular (one like on the DA40).

Are there any restrictions for designing hoods like the one on the DA21 for any other lens?
For example the classic Pentax 28/2.8 35/2.8-2.4-2.0 or 50/1.7-1.4-1.8 in either M, A, F, FA or DA versions are really small and I think a hood of this type would make help show this quality. Even the DA40XS would benefit from a hood like that.
What about the popular F35-70. Great little sharp lens but definetely needs a hood and then the little part kind of vanishes.

I have tried step-down adapters but they are hard to find and donīt offer the best flare protection.

Hoods like this could replace lens caps, protection filters and save space in the bag. Also, draw less attention, make the camera-lens system easier to manipulate.

What do you think?

Added info: The most effective hood is the one that accounts the format being used and the specific lens. For example, thereīs little advantage in using original hoods for Pentax legacy glass, as they are calculated for a larger sensor than those on DSLRs.

Last edited by carrrlangas; 08-27-2013 at 03:20 PM.
08-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It makes it pretty difficult to use polarizing filters, as well as graduated filters - I don't have my DA 21 with me right now, but I don't think I can put any filters on it if I needed to. I love the DA 21's filter and all, but I don't think I would have something like that on all my lenses. For example, I adore the petal hoods on my Tamron 70-200 and Sigma 50 F1.4. They look sexy to me.

I actually really like the pull out hoods like the FA 31 more. Those are very very pretty, and very compact as needed. But not as protective.
08-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens hood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia pretty good explanation of how hoods work and why they're shaped and sized as they are.

Haven't looked at a d21 in person, but reviews say the design prevents you from using any filters with the hood, because the rectangle won't cover the correct area.

I rather like the rubber hoods I recently bought for a couple of old lenses. I can put a polarizer or ND fader on the lens, screw the hood into that, and rotate the hood to adjust the filter.
08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
For example, I adore the petal hoods on my Tamron 70-200 and Sigma 50 F1.4. They look sexy to me.
Interesting that you actually find them attractive. Also, if you are already using big lenses as those, the less you will care about the hood.

08-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I rather like the rubber hoods I recently bought for a couple of old lenses. I can put a polarizer or ND fader on the lens, screw the hood into that, and rotate the hood to adjust the filter.
Circular rubber hoods are generally ineffective but certainly convinient for storage and better than no hood.
Hereīs a link with further information Lens hoods

I see that the use of CPL and ND filters is a major drawback for the kind of hoods I want. But then, only modern Pentax bayonet hoods have the "window" to operate this kind of filters.
08-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Interesting that you actually find them attractive. Also, if you are already using big lenses as those, the less you will care about the hood.
Sorta - for the big beefy lenses, I think the hood adds to the look.

For the smaller lenses like the DA 21, I definitely appreciate the smaller hood. And it lets me keep it on the lens all the time, instead of having to reverse it and store it like the 50 1.4 or the 70-200. But as I said, I actually prefer the pull out hoods of the FA 31 and the DA 15 more than any other hood.

And it can be done on a big lens too, like the DA 560.
08-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
What about the popular F35-70
Look on eBay for the Matin Camera Hood 49mm. US$11.00 with shipping worldwide.

You can't use a rectangular hood with this lens because the front element turns when focusing. There is no filter port, but it hardly matters when the lens turns.

The hood has two parts. There is a bayonet mount that attaches to the filter ring. The hood then attached to this mount in either forward or storage positions just like the DA lenses. You will also want to obtain a center pinch lens cap.

08-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Look on eBay for the Matin Camera Hood
Thanks, it sounds better than a screwmount hood but it still makes the lens bigger and you need to reverse it to put it away... Iīd rather a DA40 hood for this lens

@JimJohnson, Would you pay $20 - $25 for such a hood or rather save the difference and keep the Matin?

Last edited by carrrlangas; 08-27-2013 at 06:22 PM.
08-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Thanks, it sounds better than a screwmount hood but it still makes the lens bigger and you need to reverse it to put it away... Iīd rather a DA40 hood for this lens

@JimJohnson, Would you pay $20 - $25 for such a hood or rather save the difference and keep the Matin?
Personally I prefer a longer hood because in addition to flare control, a longer hood from my experience also does a better job of protecting the front element from dust or spray. The reversed storage is no big deal when you have a bayonet mount. And the lens is minimally bigger with the reverse mounted hood. And to be honest I don't like fooling around with mounting and unmounting anything on the filter threads in the field.
08-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe someone has an idea of why the DA70 ltd has a circular long hood instead of one like the DA21?
08-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On recommendation of others on the forum for a couple of my lenses, the DFA100wr and FA50 1.4, I have switched to using a 49 - 28mm filter reducer as a hood.

Works great and is very compact.
08-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

crewl1, no vignetting? Reducing it too far could create a second aperture, so your 100mm lens will max out at something slower. Are you seeing exposure shifts due to this?
08-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only a slight bit on the FA 50, not at all on the 100.
On the 50 it becomes more like 1.7 and actually makes it seem sharper wide open like folks say the 1.7 is.
There is thread somewhere that folks discussed this at length if you want to search for it.

Found a thread. I think user @soldbear was the inspiration. Looks also like on 50mm the effective aperture becomes 1.8.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/197111-impromp...resistant.html

Last edited by crewl1; 08-31-2013 at 03:03 PM.
08-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't have a DA 21 but I do have the DA 40 Limited. Filters work fine on my DA 40. The hood screws into the filter. I really haven't tried it on other lenses but will try it out.
08-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The circular hood from the DA 40 seems to do the job on a Takumar 55/1.8. I did a quick test on a bush in my backyard, with and without the hood. Shot wide open at f/1.8, it didn't appear to vignette too badly at all. Just a spot on the edge.

Shot with the hood.

Shot without the hood. It appears a little washed out.

Here's some crops.
With the hood

Without the hood.

Not a scientific test by any means but the hood makes an obvious difference. The DA 40 hood does a decent job on an old film 55mm. Better than a collapsable rubber hood? I don't have one at the moment. My old one dried out and cracked and I didn't replace it. I use my old 55 indoors in low light most of the time and I haven't felt rushed to replace it. Being the cheapskate that I am, I'll just use the circular hood from my DA 40 now.

Last edited by reeftool; 08-31-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling and incomplete sentance.