Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #1

Vivitar 28mm f/2 close focus

Is it worth $165 price on Ebay? PENTAX-Vivitar-28mm-F-2-Fast-Wide-Angle-Lens-NOS-NEW-in-BOX-RARE-Find-

It's Komine made. I already have a Vivitar SMS 28mm f/2.8 close focus. It's good but not impressive. Much better for close up shots than for medium range or infinity. Anyone know how this f/2 compares, besides the obvious benefits of larger max aperture? I also have K 28/3.5, which is unbeatable in sharpness, but heavy and slow.
Actually I have way too many 28's already, and with a DA 35/2.4 coming I can't justify another. Or can I?

Disclaimer: I don't know the seller. Just want to share the finding in case somebody here looking for this quite uncommon lens.

08-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Pentaxian

$165 for an above average MF lens is well worth it imo.
08-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
It is around the right price regarding to the owners:
Vivitar 28mm f2 MC (M series) Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Also, this lens is different from the one on the picture of the review page. Vivitar branded lenses were made by different manufacturers. This one seems to be made by Komine regarding these pages:
http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_serial_numbers
http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm

I would search online to see what people say about this particular lens.
08-28-2013, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yurko_yr Quote
It is around the right price regarding to the owners:
Vivitar 28mm f2 MC (M series) Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Also, this lens is different from the one on the picture of the review page. Vivitar branded lenses were made by different manufacturers. This one seems to be made by Komine regarding these pages:
Vivitar serial numbers - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
Vivitar Lens Manufactuers

I would search online to see what people say about this particular lens.
Robin Parmar created the 28mm Vivitar Beastiary. This lens is number one by those that have it.Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary is a summary and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/56451-great-vi...-bestiary.html is the full thread. Kudos to Robin.

08-28-2013, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I think the price is pretty good, in line for what these lenses should sell for. The Close Focus versions sell for more.

Then you have to figure out whether it's worth it for your needs. My standard at 28mm is the Pentax-F 28mm f2.8. I like the AF and the compatibility. Image quality is excellent. It's a convenient size. These are maybe $225-250. I have found that I would never use the close focus ability, and the extra stop is nice but not necessary for me. The camera's flash is actually a nice addition at 28mm, but you need a KA mount for that. I would pay the extra for an F or FA.
08-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Robin Parmar created the 28mm Vivitar Beastiary. This lens is number one by those that have it.Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary is a summary and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/56451-great-vi...-bestiary.html is the full thread. Kudos to Robin.
Thanks Arjay, for this information.
08-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok someone bought it. A few weeks from now I'll have a serious case of non-buyer remorse Just as I still kick myself for passing up an AF version of the Sigma Super Wide II thinking I already have the manual version.
08-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
Ok someone bought it. A few weeks from now I'll have a serious case of non-buyer remorse Just as I still kick myself for passing up an AF version of the Sigma Super Wide II thinking I already have the manual version.
I bought the AF version and sold the MF, and now regret selling the latter (but not buying the former). The optics are the same (fantastic) but the MF version is smaller, lighter and more pleasant to use.

I also have a Vivitar 28/2, though I think it's a different version. It's nice to have but wide open it's not great on digital (better on film).

08-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have the 28mm Vivitar Close focus in the K02 version - an example or two with it mounted on the K20:

08-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #10

Those are amazing photos, Arjay. Thanks for sharing.