Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

From the photo it looks like the threads have been damaged. Somebody probably forced it into a a T-adapter.

08-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
Looking at that back, it sure looks like m42. The "M" in "44M" backs this up.
The "M" in the name has nothing to do with M-42. It does designate automatic apertue, however. Variants without the "M" or "K" have preset apertures.

The Helios-44M is not T-mount. It is standard M42. It also does not suffer from the binding ring issue that is known to afflict Helios-44-3. A look at the lens base flange is all it takes to confirm adequate clearance.

The threads on this lens look to be bunged up. That might explain the trouble threading the adapter on.

Steve
08-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #18

I wouldn't risk damaging an original Pentax adapter on this lens. I would get a third party adapter, remove the spring clip and thread it on. If it gets stuck so what? As long as you are able to thread it far enough on to get infinity focus.
08-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The "M" in the name has nothing to do with M-42. It does designate automatic apertue, however. Variants without the "M" or "K" have preset apertures.
Well there is at least one camera web site propagating this information (see the link I posted above)
The Helios-44M is not T-mount. It is standard M42. It also does not suffer from the binding ring issue that is known to afflict Helios-44-3. A look at the lens base flange is all it takes to confirm adequate clearance
I'll be honest and say I don't know if any Heilos were ever made in T-mount. I'll be even more honest that I debated whether to reply to the OP or not knowing there are some real Helios experts around here. At least I got it right that the problem was confined to the 44-3 model.
The threads on this lens look to be bunged up. That might explain the trouble threading the adapter on.
That would appear to be the issue at hand.

08-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Well there is at least one camera web site propagating this information (see the link I posted above)
I am aware of the Camerapedia article. As near as I can tell, the name code is fanciful except for the assertion that the higher end number is a general indicator of better optical quality, though I don't know if that is by intent. My understanding is that the lens numberings are an indication of tooling series and not sequential models.

To the best of my knowledge the supported mounts during the history of the series was limited to:
  • "Start" bayonet (Helios 44)
  • M39 Zenit(SLR) (Helios 44, some 44-2)
  • M42 (44-3, 44M, 44M-n, most 44-2) Edit: Add Helios 44 as made in M42 as well as the older mounts
  • Zenit D bayonet (44-Д...no Latin labeling...extremely limited run to accommodate 68 known prototype cameras))
In terms of shear volume of production, there are probably more M42 Helios 44 lenses out there without "M" than those that are designated "M". After all, for several decades, almost all Helios 44 series lenses (literally millions) were sold mounted to M42 cameras (mostly 44-2). A designation based on mount is sort of silly.

Normally, I would not have commented on the matter except for the notion of Internet "truth" where an assertion takes on a life of its own. I would hate to have someone pass on buying a Helios 44-2 based on the notion that it is not M42.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-28-2013 at 09:18 PM.
08-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M42 (44-3, 44M, 44M-n, most 44-2)
Thanks Steve - the extra info is always welcome. Just to add to this - I definitely have a M42 mount 44 preset (no number after the 44). It came from the MMZ factory based on Camerapedia's summary of the various factories. (Soviet Factory Logos - Camerapedia)
08-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Thanks Steve - the extra info is always welcome. Just to add to this - I definitely have a M42 mount 44 preset (no number after the 44). It came from the MMZ factory based on Camerapedia's summary of the various factories. (Soviet Factory Logos - Camerapedia)
Cool! I will amend my previous post.

Steve

08-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool! I will amend my previous post. Steve
Or just let folks run through the whole thread. I take your point that M may not be a guarantee for M42 mount, but I'm guessing that the K designation was adhered to for the less frequently found K mount versions?
08-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I took a good look at the threads and they are indeed screwed up (pun intended) on the lens, so I won't be forcing the genuine adapter on it anymore. I just purchased a fake non-infinity screw-on mount adapter to force on it instead.
08-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I wouldn't risk damaging an original Pentax adapter on this lens. I would get a third party adapter, remove the spring clip and thread it on. If it gets stuck so what? As long as you are able to thread it far enough on to get infinity focus.
The Fotodiox one is only a few bucks on Amazon. That's what I use. I remove the spring clip (only takes one screw), and then fill in the notches on the side with epoxy or cover with gaffers tape (prevents light leaks). I put the adapter in my vise to hold it, and screw on the lens a little bit too tight. The adapter basically won't come off until I want it to. Presto, an almost-K-Mount Takumar!
08-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The Fotodiox one is only a few bucks on Amazon. That's what I use. I remove the spring clip (only takes one screw), and then fill in the notches on the side with epoxy or cover with gaffers tape (prevents light leaks). I put the adapter in my vise to hold it, and screw on the lens a little bit too tight. The adapter basically won't come off until I want it to. Presto, an almost-K-Mount Takumar!
One question, what's the spring clip?
08-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The little clip that holds the adapter into the camera. If you remove it, then only friction holds the adapter in the camera, but it is more than enough to be safe. If you screw the lens on the adapter tightly, then it will act like a k-mount lens, except it doesn't lock into place. I've been doing it for years, and never a problem.

It's the one screw on the side of the lens with a little spring attached to it.
08-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The little clip that holds the adapter into the camera. If you remove it, then only friction holds the adapter in the camera, but it is more than enough to be safe. If you screw the lens on the adapter tightly, then it will act like a k-mount lens, except it doesn't lock into place. I've been doing it for years, and never a problem.

It's the one screw on the side of the lens with a little spring attached to it.

I have some heavier lenses that I keep the clip on... Also if you have an old screwmount that has a tight focus ring, you would want the clip in for that one as can screw the lens right out of the camera.
But for most of the smaller lenses, I agree you can take off the clip.
08-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #29

Can someone post a picture of this clip, or a with/without picture pair?

I've got no idea what you're talking about.
08-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #30

It's held in place with a screw. The black part in this photo

You can clearly see the clip on this 3rd party adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-For-M42-Mount-Lens-To-Pentax-K-PK-K-5-K-r-K-...item2c7228254b

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-30-2013 at 11:32 AM.