Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Helios 44M doesn't fit M42 adapter

I just got my first Helios 44M and a geniune Pentax K to M42 adapter, but I can't get the Helios to fit in the adapter all the way. It screws in a couple of rounds but then gets stuck. Is this normal?

Of all the things I considered before getting the 44m, this was not something I had thought of.

Attached Images

08-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It fits all the way in mine... no issues
08-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please post a photo showing the back of the lens. There was a thread some time ago about the 44-3 version, which in some cases would not fit properly without hitting the mirror (I believe). But that should not be the issue here. Note that the Helios 44 was made in a number of versions and this may not be the m42 mount. It sounds like it is a T-mount? or some other variation which has the same diameter but different helical pitch. But back and maybe a side view of the back to show the threads should help sort this out.
08-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

As you can see from this web page, there were quite a few variations (and this list isn't complete). I have a Helios 44 preset in m42 mount, whereas this list implies that the m42 started with the 44-2 version.
Helios-44 - Camerapedia

08-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Please post a photo showing the back of the lens. There was a thread some time ago about the 44-3 version, which in some cases would not fit properly without hitting the mirror (I believe). But that should not be the issue here. Note that the Helios 44 was made in a number of versions and this may not be the m42 mount. It sounds like it is a T-mount? or some other variation which has the same diameter but different helical pitch. But back and maybe a side view of the back to show the threads should help sort this out.
Here's a back and side view. Could it actually be a T-mount? Hadn't considered that at all.
Attached Images

08-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #6

Until I saw the pics of the lens, I was going to say you've either got a T-mount adapter (instead of m42) or the m39 Helios.

Looking at that back, it sure looks like m42. The "M" in "44M" backs this up.

Are you really sure your adapter is m42? Have you used the adapter with other lenses?

Or maybe someone else ruined the thread by jamming the wrong adapter on the lens.
08-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
Until I saw the pics of the lens, I was going to say you've either got a T-mount adapter (instead of m42) or the m39 Helios.

Looking at that back, it sure looks like m42. The "M" in "44M" backs this up.

Are you really sure your adapter is m42? Have you used the adapter with other lenses?

Or maybe someone else ruined the thread by jamming the wrong adapter on the lens.
The adapter is a genuine Pentax M42 to K adapter with manuals and original sales packaging ("Pentax Japan"). I'm guessing someone else has ruined the lens then... Bummer.
Any more tips?

08-28-2013, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #8
MSL
Pentaxian

It shouldn't be - not as it is labeled 44-M and that M should stand for m42 mount. I'm not seeing any obvious reason for these images, nor anything that looks all that different from my version of this lens from the same factory. You might want to check the threads carefully to make sure there isn't any obvious damage to them, Not sure if the adapter is getting gradually harder to put on of if you are hitting a sudden sticking point, as the latter would indicate some kind of blockage rather than a misfit screw.
08-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A 44M shouldn't have any problems. Some versions of the 44-3 had a rim on the focusing ring that extended too far back for the lens to mount right.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/77158-caution-...al-buyers.html

Last edited by boriscleto; 08-28-2013 at 01:47 PM.
08-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #10

If the threads are damaged, someone with some machining experience might be able to fix it for you. I've got *zero* experience with this, but I know they can rethread other mechanical items (such as car parts), so I don't see any reason they can't repair the thread on a lens.
08-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
It shouldn't be - not as it is labeled 44-M and that M should stand for m42 mount. I'm not seeing any obvious reason for these images, nor anything that looks all that different from my version of this lens from the same factory. You might want to check the threads carefully to make sure there isn't any obvious damage to them, Not sure if the adapter is getting gradually harder to put on of if you are hitting a sudden sticking point, as the latter would indicate some kind of blockage rather than a misfit screw.
I just used brute force and was able to get it almost all the way in, but it shouldn't be this stiff, should it? I'm gona try and clean the threads on both the adapter and lens tomorrow.

I knew this deal was too good to be true (good thing it was cheap)
08-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by qwertyazerty Quote
I just used brute force and was able to get it almost all the way in, but it shouldn't be this stiff, should it? I'm gona try and clean the threads on both the adapter and lens tomorrow. I knew this deal was too good to be true (good thing it was cheap)
I thought brute force might work but didn't want to suggest it, just in case it didn't.
If it is minor issue with the threads, repeated on/off with the adapter might fix it. It might also loose things up a bit. I'd still take a good look at the threads first to check for visual damage. I'd also make sure this adapter is okay on a different m42 lens.
08-28-2013, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I have a 44-2. It doesn't screw in perfectly, its a little off. And infinity focus is a little off the mark. I think its just due to the mount being so old and used (the lens has some history), and the general tolerances of adapters.
Maybe its hard to screw in because the screw is grimy or rusty. You can try measuring the thread pitch to see if the lens is genuinely m42. (T mount is also 42mm, but it has a different pitch, which could explain why it doesnt go in properly) These lenses can have a lot of history, and you probably dont know all the repairs it went through.
08-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I have a 44-2. It doesn't screw in perfectly, its a little off. And infinity focus is a little off the mark. I think its just due to the mount being so old and used (the lens has some history), and the general tolerances of adapters.
Maybe its hard to screw in because the screw is grimy or rusty. You can try measuring the thread pitch to see if the lens is genuinely m42. (T mount is also 42mm, but it has a different pitch, which could explain why it doesnt go in properly) These lenses can have a lot of history, and you probably dont know all the repairs it went through.

I actually just got mine mounted and took some shots with it. I didn't get it deep enough to get infinity, but then again, this is hardly a landscape lens anyway. The shots wide open I did get were spectacularly sharp, atleast judging from the LCD. That said I took off and going to do a thorough cleaning of the threads tomorrow. It was so tight my knuckles went white when I attached it to the lens
08-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Be careful, you don't want to damage the camera mount! :X
Oh, and regarding landscape, it might surprise you. Though, edges probably won't be perfectly sharp